Problem creating GIFs

Jonathan Phillips

Feb 15, 2002, 9:41:45 AM2/15/02
I am trying to create gif files using GIFEncoder...

To crate my Image and Graphics, I am using:
//class MyGraphicsTest
frame = new Frame(); //line 38
frame.addNotify();
img = frame.createImage(WIDTH, HEIGHT);
g = img.getGraphics();

All works sweet on my NT/Tomcat servlet development environment

But when I take it over to my Linux/Tomcat machine I get:

java.lang.InternalError: Can't connect to X11 window server using ':0.0' as
the value of the DISPLAY variable.
at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.initDisplay(Native Method)
at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.(X11GraphicsEnvironment.java:59)
at
java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.getLocalGraphicsEnvironment(GraphicsEnvironment
.java:58)
at java.awt.Window.(Window.java:186)
at java.awt.Frame.(Frame.java:315)
at java.awt.Frame.(Frame.java:262)
at MyGraphicsTest.doGet(MyGraphicsTest.java:38)
at org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.doService(ServletWrapper.java:405)
at org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.service(ServletWrapper.java:372)
at
7)
at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(ContextManager.java:743)
at
(Ajp12ConnectionHandler.java:166)
at
at
org.apache.tomcat.util.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:501)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)

Can anyone explain why my 'WORA' servlet is failing on the Linux serfer?
And, of course, can you offer me a solution or work around?

Eduard Mikhaylov

Feb 15, 2002, 9:55:16 AM2/15/02
Image Producers on UNIX env uses X-servers. You need to start X-server and set
proper display attachments for you environment.
eduardm.vcf

Marco Schmidt

Feb 15, 2002, 10:31:19 AM2/15/02
Jonathan Phillips wrote:

[...]

>All works sweet on my NT/Tomcat servlet development environment
>
>But when I take it over to my Linux/Tomcat machine I get:
>
>java.lang.InternalError: Can't connect to X11 window server using ':0.0' as
>the value of the DISPLAY variable.

Java versions before 1.4 required an X server. See
http://www.geocities.com/marcoschmidt.geo/java-image-coding.html#X

[...]

Regards,
Marco

Jonathan Phillips

Feb 15, 2002, 11:41:32 AM2/15/02
Many thanks.

I found a suitable workaround using the PJA at:
http://www.eteks.com/pja/en/

"Marco Schmidt" <marcos...@geocities.com> wrote in message

Jon A. Cruz

Feb 15, 2002, 12:22:53 PM2/15/02
Jonathan Phillips wrote:

> Many thanks.
>
> I found a suitable workaround using the PJA at:
> http://www.eteks.com/pja/en/

Well... JDK 1.4 is out now, so that's another thing that can be used. And,
yes, the Linux version is released too. Just the Mac OS-X one is still in
beta.

--
Jon A. Cruz

"Can't a man even clean up his work area without inadvertently conjuring
up a pack of lightning-breathing ocelots?" - Edward Whitson