File Upload

jerry

Jan 9, 2008, 8:56:48 PM1/9/08

I have struts application that handle file upload, and i have two
server for testing and for production. I used FileUpload
(org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileUploadBase) to handle the
uploading. I tested to test server and it works well, but when i tried
to run to my prod server, I got throw error

org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileUploadException: Processing of
multipart/form-data request failed. No space left on device
at
org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileUploadBase.parseRequest(FileUploadBase.java:
429)
at
org.apache.struts.upload.CommonsMultipartRequestHandler.handleRequest(CommonsMultipartRequestHandler.java:
233)
at org.apache.struts.util.RequestUtils.populate(RequestUtils.java:
1209)

etc......

this error "No space left on device" what particular device it is
mean?

thanks.

Jerry Balingasa

Arne Vajhøj

Jan 9, 2008, 9:24:47 PM1/9/08
jerry wrote:
> I have struts application that handle file upload, and i have two
> server for testing and for production. I used FileUpload
> (org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileUploadBase) to handle the
> uploading. I tested to test server and it works well, but when i tried
> to run to my prod server, I got throw error
>
> org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileUploadException: Processing of
> multipart/form-data request failed. No space left on device
> at
> org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileUploadBase.parseRequest(FileUploadBase.java:
> 429)
> at
> org.apache.struts.upload.CommonsMultipartRequestHandler.handleRequest(CommonsMultipartRequestHandler.java:
> 233)
> at org.apache.struts.util.RequestUtils.populate(RequestUtils.java:
> 1209)

> this error "No space left on device" what particular device it is
> mean?

The one returned by System.getProperty("java.io.tmpdir") !

Arne

jerry

Jan 9, 2008, 9:51:22 PM1/9/08

> The one returned by System.getProperty("java.io.tmpdir") !
>
> Arne

That's mean, my temp dir is not enough space? because if I tried to
upload like 100kb file size it works, but when it comes to more than
400kb, that errors thrown(Processing of multipart/form-data request
failed. No space left on device).

Thanks...

Jerry Balingasa

Tim Slattery

Jan 10, 2008, 9:20:58 AM1/10/08
jerry <jbali...@gmail.com> wrote:

I'd guess that there's not much space available on the disk where the
temp directory resides.

--
Tim Slattery
Slatt...@bls.gov

Jerry Balingasa

Jan 11, 2008, 7:39:21 AM1/11/08

> I'd guess that there's not much space available on the disk where the
> temp directory resides.
>
> --
> Tim Slattery
> Slatter...@bls.govhttp://members.cox.net/slatteryt

I don't think it was the disk space, because i have enough space
available even in my temp dir.

any helps? :)

Jerry Balingasa

Nigel Wade

Jan 11, 2008, 11:35:49 AM1/11/08
Jerry Balingasa wrote:

>> I'd guess that there's not much space available on the disk where the
>> temp directory resides.
>>

> I don't think it was the disk space, because i have enough space
> available even in my temp dir.
>
> any helps? :)

Did you check on the server, where it is being written?

E-mail : n...@ion.le.ac.uk
Phone : +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555

Jerry Balingasa

Jan 14, 2008, 4:28:57 AM1/14/08
On 12 Ene, 00:35, Nigel Wade <n...@ion.le.ac.uk> wrote:

Yes I did and there is a lot of space in my disk to handle a big
file..

If I upload about 120kb it works fine, but if I upload around 140kb
and up, the error comes up.
I upload a several times with file size 110kb and less to see if my
temp space is low but, it's all ok.. Or i just got a low resource like
vm? that's why i got that error.

Thanks..

--
Jerry Balingasa

Andreas Leitgeb

Jan 14, 2008, 5:04:06 AM1/14/08
Jerry Balingasa <jbali...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Did you check on the server, where it is being written?
>
> Yes I did and there is a lot of space in my disk to handle a big
> file..
>
> If I upload about 120kb it works fine, but if I upload around 140kb
> and up, the error comes up.

Sorry, if it has been mentioned already, but is the server using some
"normal" protocol (http(PUT), ftp, scp), or is it just the server-part
of your application with some ad-hoc defined and implemented protocol?
Is the server completely under your control, or do you have
only that particular upload-protocol available to work on that
server?

> I upload a several times with file size 110kb and less to see if my
> temp space is low but, it's all ok.. Or i just got a low resource like
> vm? that's why i got that error.

That's not the same, since the temp-space might be freed when
the upload of each of the small files is complete. This Temp-space
might even be in memory and thus be constrained by imposed memory-
usage limitations on the server.

Have you tried uploading these small files in parallel, if at all
possible?

Arne Vajhøj

Jan 14, 2008, 8:26:17 AM1/14/08
Andreas Leitgeb wrote:
> Sorry, if it has been mentioned already, but is the server using some
> "normal" protocol (http(PUT), ftp, scp), or is it just the server-part
> of your application with some ad-hoc defined and implemented protocol?
> Is the server completely under your control, or do you have
> only that particular upload-protocol available to work on that
> server?

The original posts said Jakarta Commons FileUpload.

That implies HTTP POST.

Arne