ClassFormatError: Test != Package.Test

Alexander Anderson

Aug 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/7/96

Dear Java Programmer,

There's a page on my College Home Pages, that's meant to demonstrate Counters counting
up and down.

http://www.mdx.ac.uk/~alexander9/html/Vincent/Test.html

It works fine locally. (Well, there's one slight bug when counting down, but that's a
seperate issue.) However, this is the message I get when I access the self-same pages
from the College account:

# Applet exception: error: CounterTest != Vincent.CounterTest
java.lang.ClassFormatError: CounterTest != Vincent.CounterTest
at netscape.applet.AppletClassLoader.findClass(AppletClassLoader.java:175)
at netscape.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass(AppletClassLoader.java:121)
at netscape.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass(AppletClassLoader.java:100)
at netscape.applet.MozillaAppletContext.loadClass(MozillaAppletContext.java:420)
at netscape.applet.EmbeddedAppletFrame.run(EmbeddedAppletFrame.java:230)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:289)

If you navigate to the page, you can have a look at all my source code and JavaDoc-
umentation, but probably not see the applet working either. Here's the relevant bit in
the HTML source:

<applet
code="CounterTest.class"
alt="You need a Java enabled Web-navigator"
width=500 height=300

You need a Java enabled Web-navigator to see today's version of the
test applet
</applet>

I changed the code line from code="Vincent.CounterTest.class", which it couldn't find,
to the present, which gives the present error message.

What am I doing wrong?

Sandy

P.S. I could make CounterTest not part of the Vincent package, and it'll probably start
working. But I want to find out about this package stuff, and also it makes the
JavaDoc-umentation clearer to read. It's for C++ students to look at, at the end of
an introductory summer course in Object Oriented programming. But chiefly, because
I want to know how to get it to work _as_is_, all in a package!

P.P.S You may find that I since messed around with it further. Nothing seems to work now.
The latest is VerifyError.
--
// Alexander Anderson Computer Systems Student //
// sa...@almide.demon.co.uk Middlesex University //