1.4.2 translate errors

Andrew Neiderer

Oct 22, 2004, 11:31:30 AM10/22/04
I programmed a simple GUI using Swing with build 1.3.1 on
a Windows machine. Now someone is interested in using this code under RH Linu!
with a Blackdown 1.4.2 build. It has been some years since I looked at Java
but I will dig into it if I must. I just want to do this as fast as possible.

I get the following errors when I try to translate. There may not be enough
information here but I'd rather not post code and use more bandwidth.
If someone sees something obvious please let me know. The JDC doesn't
offer support so before I try that route I will try here.

Thank you.

- Andrew M. Neiderer
US Army Research Laboratory

$ j2sdk1.4.2/bin/javac DISimGUI.java

An ex-eption has occurred in the compiler (1.4.2). Please file a bug at the
Java Developer Connection (http://java.sun.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi)
after checking the Bug Parade for duplicates. Include your program and the
following diagnostic in your report. Thank you.

at com.sun.tools.javac.v8.code.ClassReader.readPool(ClassReader.java:453)
at com.sun.tools.javac.v8.code.ClassReader.readName(ClassReader.java:554)
at com.sun.tools.javac.v8.code.ClassReader.readMethod(ClassReader.java:798)
at com.sun.tools.javac.v8.code.ClassReader.readClass(ClassReader.java:883)
at com.sun.tools.javac.v8.code.ClassReader.readClassFile(ClassReader.java:936)
at com.sun.tools.javac.v8.code.ClassReader.fillIn(ClassReader.java:1091)
at com.sun.tools.javac.v8.code.ClassReader.complete(ClassReader.java:1049)
at com.sun.tools.javac.v8.code.Symbol.complete(Symbol.java:372)
at com.sun.tools.javac.v8.code.Symbol$ClassSymbol.complete(Symbol.java:691)
at com.sun.tools.javac.v8.code.ClassReader.loadClass(ClassReader.java:1130)
at com.sun.tools.javac.v8.comp.Resolve.loadClass(Resolve.java:471)
at com.sun.tools.javac.v8.comp.Resolve.findIdentInPackage(Resolve.java:644)
at com.sun.tools.javac.v8.comp.Attr.selectSym(Attr.java:1127)
at com.sun.tools.javac.v8.comp.Attr.visitSelect(Attr.java:1076)
at com.sun.tools.javac.v8.tree.Tree$Select.accept(Tree.java:1091)
at com.sun.tools.javac.v8.comp.Attr.attribTree(Attr.java:198)
at com.sun.tools.javac.v8.comp.Attr.attribType(Attr.java:228)
at com.sun.tools.javac.v8.comp.Enter$MemberEnter.visitImport(Enter.java:763)
at com.sun.tools.javac.v8.tree.Tree$Import.accept(Tree.java:407)
at com.sun.tools.javac.v8.comp.Enter$MemberEnter.memberEnter(Enter.java:715)
at com.sun.tools.javac.v8.comp.Enter$MemberEnter.memberEnter(Enter.java:727)
at com.sun.tools.javac.v8.comp.Enter$MemberEnter.visitTopLevel(Enter.java:746)
at com.sun.tools.javac.v8.tree.Tree$TopLevel.accept(Tree.java:390)
at com.sun.tools.javac.v8.comp.Enter$MemberEnter.memberEnter(Enter.java:715)
at com.sun.tools.javac.v8.comp.Enter$CompleteEnter.complete(Enter.java:848)
at com.sun.tools.javac.v8.code.Symbol.complete(Symbol.java:372)
at com.sun.tools.javac.v8.code.Symbol$ClassSymbol.complete(Symbol.java:691)
at com.sun.tools.javac.v8.comp.Enter.complete(Enter.java:601)
at com.sun.tools.javac.v8.comp.Enter.main(Enter.java:582)
at com.sun.tools.javac.v8.JavaCompiler.compile(JavaCompiler.java:331)
at com.sun.tools.javac.v8.Main.compile(Main.java:569)
at com.sun.tools.javac.Main.compile(Main.java:36)
at com.sun.tools.javac.Main.main(Main.java:27)

Paul Lutus

Oct 22, 2004, 12:22:28 PM10/22/04
Andrew Neiderer wrote:

> I programmed a simple GUI using Swing with build 1.3.1 on
> a Windows machine. Now someone is interested in using this code under RH
> Linu!
> with a Blackdown 1.4.2 build. It has been some years since I looked at
> Java
> but I will dig into it if I must. I just want to do this as fast as
> possible.

Your system has a bug -- it made you post the exact same post in two
different newsgroups. This is called "mutiposting" and it is universally
unacceptable.

Fix your system's problems, and both this and the original topic wil be
resolved.

--
Paul Lutus
http://www.arachnoid.com

Yogo

Oct 22, 2004, 12:35:25 PM10/22/04

"Paul Lutus" wrote:
> Your system has a bug -- it made you post the exact same post in two
> different newsgroups. This is called "mutiposting" and it is universally
> unacceptable.

Is being off topic without mentioning it _clearly_ acceptable ?

No, it's not.

So please mention that your post is off-topic or don't post it at all.

Yogo

Alex Hunsley

Oct 22, 2004, 3:37:23 PM10/22/04
Yogo wrote:
> "Paul Lutus" wrote:
>
>>Your system has a bug -- it made you post the exact same post in two
>>different newsgroups. This is called "mutiposting" and it is universally
>>unacceptable.
>

> Is being off topic without mentioning it _clearly_ acceptable ?
>
> No, it's not.

If the replying post is relaying information to the OP about something
they did in their post the wrong way - then yes, it is clearly
acceptable, if you look at the way Usenet works currently: how often is
a post, which addresses the OP's bad form of posting style, marked
'off-topic'? Never seen it, in my experience. And I've never seen anyone
make a fuss about it before now. Can you provide links to messages on
google groups that show anyone else is bothered by that? On the
contrary, I can supply you with any number of posts that show that the
thing you're complaining about is accepted standard practice.

I think the key is that while mentioning a technicality about someones
post isn't talking about the topic at hand, it isn't talking about a
different topic either, which is what "off-topic" would suggest (at
least to me).

> So please mention that your post is off-topic or
don't post it at all.

> Yogo

Tell me, honestly, what you think hurts usenet more: people multiposting
ad nauseum, or people giving feedback on how better to use usenet
without adding 'off-topic' to the subject line?

alex

Chris Uppal

Oct 22, 2004, 5:42:35 PM10/22/04
Andrew Neiderer wrote:

> at com.sun.tools.javac.v8.code.ClassReader.readPool(ClassReader.java:453)
> at com.sun.tools.javac.v8.code.ClassReader.readName(ClassReader.java:554)
> at
> com.sun.tools.javac.v8.code.ClassReader.readMethod(ClassReader.java:798)
> at com.sun.tools.javac.v8.code.ClassReader.readClass(ClassReader.java:883)
> at
> com.sun.tools.javac.v8.code.ClassReader.readClassFile(ClassReader.java:936)

Can you compile /anything/ ? Does even a simple 'hello world' fail in the same
way ?

My first guess, looking at the above, is that your java compiler is breaking
because it's trying to read a corrupted classfile somewhere.

Just a very remote chance, but do you have an incomplete file hanging around
from some previous attempt at compiling ?

-- chris

Yogo

Oct 22, 2004, 6:26:47 PM10/22/04
"Alex Hunsley" wrote

> If the replying post is relaying information to the OP about something
> they did in their post the wrong way - then yes, it is clearly acceptable,
> if you look at the way Usenet works currently: how often is a post, which
> addresses the OP's bad form of posting style, marked 'off-topic'? Never
> seen it, in my experience. And I've never seen anyone make a fuss about it
> before now.

I've put "Off topic" in the subject of my reply to tell people that my reply
had nothing to do with the original topic "1.4.2 translate errors" so that
they don't have to loose time reading my reply if they are only interested
in the original topic. I think that makes sense.

> Can you provide links to messages on google groups that show anyone else
> is bothered by that? On the contrary, I can supply you with any number of
> posts that show that the thing you're complaining about is accepted
> standard practice.

Hmm, you've never seen people complaining about off-topic messages?

> I think the key is that while mentioning a technicality about someones
> post isn't talking about the topic at hand, it isn't talking about a
> different topic either, which is what "off-topic" would suggest (at least
> to me).
>

> Tell me, honestly, what you think hurts usenet more: people multiposting
> ad nauseum, or people giving feedback on how better to use usenet without
> adding 'off-topic' to the subject line?

Personnally I don't care about multipost as long as the groups are related
to the topic. But I'm annoyed by multipost when the message has nothing to
do with the group: it's like, hmmm, a time-waisting off-topic message
(without any clear mention of its off-topicness).

Yogo

Paul Lutus

Oct 22, 2004, 6:55:28 PM10/22/04
"Yogo" <n o s p a m> wrote:

> "Paul Lutus" wrote:
>> Your system has a bug -- it made you post the exact same post in two
>> different newsgroups. This is called "mutiposting" and it is universally
>> unacceptable.
>
> Is being off topic without mentioning it _clearly_ acceptable ?

Usenet rule discussions are always on-topic, and you just revealed your
total ignorance of Usenet rules of behavior.

> No, it's not.

False premise, false conclusion.

> So please mention that your post is off-topic or don't post it at all.

Learn something before posting again.

Yogo

Oct 22, 2004, 8:36:35 PM10/22/04
"Paul Lutus" wrote:

>> "Paul Lutus" wrote:
>>> Your system has a bug -- it made you post the exact same post in two
>>> different newsgroups. This is called "mutiposting" and it is universally
>>> unacceptable.
>>
>> Is being off topic without mentioning it _clearly_ acceptable ?
>
> Usenet rule discussions are always on-topic, and you just revealed your
> total ignorance of Usenet rules of behavior.

So, not knowing one of the rules of something means total ignorance? Sorry
to say so but I think it's pretty stupid to think so.

And who says that discussions about usenet rules are always on-topic besides
you? I indeed never heard such a rule since I know usenet...

Anyway, I wasn't talking about that message in particular. You often reply
with off-topic messages and that just adds unnecessary noise to the group
and is also a waiste of time for readers/writers who expect on-topic
messages...

> Learn something before posting again.

Try to do the same.

Paul Lutus

Oct 23, 2004, 3:55:39 AM10/23/04
"Yogo" <n o s p a m> wrote:

>>> Is being off topic without mentioning it _clearly_ acceptable ?
>>
>> Usenet rule discussions are always on-topic, and you just revealed your
>> total ignorance of Usenet rules of behavior.
>>

> So, not knowing one of the rules of something means total ignorance?

Find the quote where someone other than yourself took this position. Yes,
that's right, only you said this, no one else.

> Sorry
> to say so but I think it's pretty stupid to think so.

So you have quoted yourself, then laid judgment on it. So be it.

> And who says that discussions about usenet rules are always on-topic
> besides you?

Rent a clue.

> I indeed never heard such a rule since I know usenet...

You know, you can keep your ignorance a secret. No one needs to know.

http://www.talkaboutprogramming.com/group/comp.lang.cobol/messages/127949.html

"By longstanding Usenet convention, discussions of topicality are always
topical."

http://www.dbforums.com/archive/index.php/t-318674.html

"Nope - topicality is always topical. Thats one of the rules by the way."

http://www.woodworking-forum.com/woodworking/OT_Why_I_hate_political_threads_962009.html

"* Topicality is always topical * "

http://coding.derkeiler.com/Archive/General/comp.programming/2003-11/2006.html

"... second, topicality is--by definition--on topic on amUSENET."

And so on, for hundreds of posts.

Alex Hunsley

Oct 23, 2004, 5:50:51 AM10/23/04
Yogo wrote:
> "Alex Hunsley" wrote
>
>>If the replying post is relaying information to the OP about something
>>they did in their post the wrong way - then yes, it is clearly acceptable,
>>if you look at the way Usenet works currently: how often is a post, which
>>addresses the OP's bad form of posting style, marked 'off-topic'? Never
>>seen it, in my experience. And I've never seen anyone make a fuss about it
>>before now.
>

> I've put "Off topic" in the subject of my reply to tell people that my reply
> had nothing to do with the original topic "1.4.2 translate errors" so that
> they don't have to loose time reading my reply if they are only interested
> in the original topic. I think that makes sense.

Perhaps it makes sense to you. It's not how usenet works though, and
you're be wrong in trying to tell Paul Lutus that that is how it works.
By all means, if you really feel the need, add "off-topic" to any of
your replies where you address a technicality of how another poster has
posted their article; but no-one else does this, and that is how usenet is.
I suspect usenet works this way because a reply that addresses a
technicality of the OP will usually not spawn off a branch of discussion
itself; that subthread will usually die right there. It's not like a
technicality addressing post will start off a huge sub-thread. (On
occaisons I am sure it has, but those occaisons are very much the
exception.)

>>Can you provide links to messages on google groups that show anyone else
>>is bothered by that? On the contrary, I can supply you with any number of
>>posts that show that the thing you're complaining about is accepted
>>standard practice.
>

> Hmm, you've never seen people complaining about off-topic messages?

That is not what I said. Go back and read what I wrote again: I said
that I've never seen people complaining about messages addressing the
usenet technicalities of another usenet post that weren't marked
"off-topic".

>>I think the key is that while mentioning a technicality about someones
>>post isn't talking about the topic at hand, it isn't talking about a
>>different topic either, which is what "off-topic" would suggest (at least
>>to me).
>>
>>Tell me, honestly, what you think hurts usenet more: people multiposting
>>ad nauseum, or people giving feedback on how better to use usenet without
>>adding 'off-topic' to the subject line?
>

> Personnally I don't care about multipost as long as the groups are related
> to the topic.

Then I think you have a poor understanding of usenet. Don't you want
usenet to be productive and useful and not annoying when possible? I
suggest you go and read up on why multiposting is counter-productive -
there are actual reasons, you know!

> But I'm annoyed by multipost when the message has nothing to
> do with the group: it's like, hmmm, a time-waisting off-topic message
> (without any clear mention of its off-topicness).

Multi-posted or not, genuinely off-topic[1] messages that aren't marked
so can be annoying, yes.

[1] by 'genuinely off-topic' I mean posts that aren't talking about the
original topic *or* about some technicality of the post they are
replying to.

alex