Problems with Java RMI and large number of clients (socket problem)

Frode Stokke

Jun 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/21/97

Hi.

I'm having some problems with Java RMI when I try to connect a large
number of clients (>10) to the server.

I've tried to run the StockServer application provided with JDK1.1.2 and
I get the same problems with that application. When I try to connect
between 10-20 clients to the stockserver, I start to get error messages.
The error message varies, but is one of the three shown below:

java.rmi.ServerException: Server RemoteException; nested exception is:
java.rmi.ConnectIOException: Error creating connection to:
[halfdome.nta.no:41433]; nested exception is:
java.net.SocketException: Too many open files

java.rmi.MarshalException: Error marshaling transport header; nested
exception is:
java.io.IOException: Broken pipe
at
sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPChannel.newConnection(TCPChannel.java:171)
at sun.rmi.server.UnicastRef.newCall(UnicastRef.java:73)
at
sun.rmi.registry.RegistryImpl_Stub.lookup(RegistryImpl_Stub.java:86)
at java.rmi.Naming.lookup(Naming.java:60)
at examples.stock.StockApplet.init(StockApplet.java:115)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(AppletPanel.java:287)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java)

java.rmi.ConnectIOException: Error creating connection to:
[halfdome:1099]; nested exception is:
java.net.SocketException: Connection reset by peer
at
sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPChannel.openSocket(TCPChannel.java:242)
at
sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPChannel.newConnection(TCPChannel.java:125)
at sun.rmi.server.UnicastRef.newCall(UnicastRef.java:73)
at
sun.rmi.registry.RegistryImpl_Stub.lookup(RegistryImpl_Stub.java:86)
at java.rmi.Naming.lookup(Naming.java:60)
at examples.stock.StockApplet.init(StockApplet.java:115)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(AppletPanel.java:287)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java)

The problems occur regardless of whether I run the clients on the same
machine as the server,
and regardless of whether RMI uses multiplex connections or not.

Does anyone know what the problem is, and how it can be solved?

(Please respond pr. e-mail as well.)

Thanks!

--
Frode Stokke
Telenor R&D

Frode Stokke

Jun 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/21/97

Frode Stokke wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I'm having some problems with Java RMI when I try to connect a large
> number of clients (>10) to the server.

Oh. I forgot to mention what plattform I'm using:

JDK1.1.2
Solaris 2.5.1 (128 MB RAM).

Sorry.