SQL Exception with Oracle Thin JDBC drivers

gm...@yahoo.com

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
to gm...@srr.com
I received the following errors when executing the
Connection.createStatement() method:

'java.sql.SQLException: No more data to read from socket'
'java.sql.SQLException: Bigger type length than Maximum'

if anyone could shed some light as to what cause the aforementioned
exceptions and how to correct the problems, please send me an email
at gm...@yahoo.com
thanks

PS. has anyone had problems with the Oracle Thin JDBC drivers, if so,
are there any recommendations as to which JDBC driver to use to connect
to Oracle v7.3 and up?

gary

Gonzalo

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
to gm...@yahoo.com

Do you have de same problem with jdbc:odbc bridge??. I you haven´t may be you
have a damaged thin JDBC driver...

Conrad Chan

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
Try the 8.0.4.0.6 driver. That driver looks like solved the problem for us.

Radu A. Buzila

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
to Conrad Chan

Conrad Chan wrote:

> Try the 8.0.4.0.6 driver. That driver looks like solved the problem for us.

I can't find this on the Oracle site (there's only version 8.0.4.0.5 and it
doesn't work). Please be so kind to send me the 8.0.4.0.6 thin driver or
indicate an URL where I could get it from.

Thank you very much in advance!

Radu A. Buzila INTERACTIVE NETWORK
Software Engineer Informationssysteme GmbH
Software Development Dpt. Stephanstr. 3
60313 Frankfurt/Main
e-mail: bu...@internet.de GERMANY
WWW : http://www.internet.de
Phone : +49-(0)69-1336-0
Fax : +49-(0)69-1336-1000

R. Maitland Baxter

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
hi,
i think i can help with at least one of your errors. About a week
ago I was having a similar problem getting "No more data to read from
socket", very frustrating. I got in contact with someone at Oracle
support (not the easiest thing in the world to do). What I had
discovered was that the Oracle "keep alive" connection check signal
kills the JDBC connection every time. There should be a file called
sqlnet.ora somewhere on the Oracle server. It has a line
SQLNET_EXPIRE_TIME = X where X is a value in minutes. I'd be willing
to bet that you recieve that SQL exception exactly every X minutes.
There are 3 possible solutions, I'll list them in order of least to
most desirable (in my opinion).'

1) Remove, the SQLNET_EXPIRE_TIME = X from your .ora file. If this is
acceptable to your DBA, it will correct the problem.

2) Where you catch the SQLException, check if the message is "no more
data", if so just reconnect and try the query again. Ugly but it
works.

3) This is a known bug for Oracle. It is fixed in the 8.0.4.0.6
version of the JDBC thin driver. Unfortunately the latest available on
their website is 8.0.4.0.5. I have used the new version and it works
great (at least on NT). If you promise not to ask me where I got it, I
can send you the zip file for the latest driver. I was told it is a
production version but for some reason is not yet publically
available. Regardless, I would bet that you will be able to get it
form Oracle in the next couple of weeks.

hope this helps!
____________________________________
"That was good . . . but not great." - Homer J. Simpson

Gaylord Aulke

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
to gon...@sicon.net
Hello.

i read your question just after i posted mine to this
forum (not the right way to use a forum, i'll get better).

we also keep getting these "Bigger type length than Maximum" errors
when reading from a table with two varchar2 fields (length 2000),
but not in every environment. Looks like it depends on the data.

did you solve the problem in the mean time?

Gaylord Aulke
--
agi business media productions
http://www.agi.de

Gaylord Aulke

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
to Radu A. Buzila
i have the same problems.
can you tell me where i can find this new jdbc driver?

regards,

Gaylord Aulke
--
agi business media productions
http://www.agi.de
+++news+++news+++news+++
agi is a demonstrating finalist in the
multimedia competition of The New York Festivals!
check our diary for more information:
http://www.agi.de/news.cgi?bereich=0

Renzo Zanelli

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
I have seen the 'No more data to read from socket' error with the JDBC drivers
and Oracle 8. We had to apply a patch that was supplied to us by Oracle. I
don't know exactly all the ins and outs, but we also had a developers' membership
that got us access to some special support and files.

Gonzalo wrote:

> gm...@yahoo.com wrote:
> >
> > I received the following errors when executing the
> > Connection.createStatement() method:
> >
> > 'java.sql.SQLException: No more data to read from socket'
> > 'java.sql.SQLException: Bigger type length than Maximum'
> >
> > if anyone could shed some light as to what cause the aforementioned
> > exceptions and how to correct the problems, please send me an email
> > at gm...@yahoo.com
> > thanks
> >
> > PS. has anyone had problems with the Oracle Thin JDBC drivers, if so,
> > are there any recommendations as to which JDBC driver to use to connect
> > to Oracle v7.3 and up?
> >
> > gary

> > http://www.dejanews.com/rg_mkgrp.xp Create Your Own Free Member Forum
>

> Do you have de same problem with jdbc:odbc bridge??. I you haven´t may be you
> have a damaged thin JDBC driver...

--
Renzo Zanelli Systems Programmer
Time Warner Communications - Roadrunner division

E-mail: _ren...@tampabay.rr.com
http://www.tampabay.rr.com

** Remove the underscores for valid e-mail address **

Andreas Huber

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
Just wondering: is such a magic cure also available for Oracle 7? Or can the
Oracle 8 Thin driver also be used for Oracle 7?

Also wondering why Oracle refuses any answers to these questions. Even
Redmont offers internet support for their mass market products ...

Andreas

R. Maitland Baxter

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
On Thu, 27 Aug 1998 08:42:53 +0200, "Andreas Huber"
<andrea...@aua.com> wrote:

>Just wondering: is such a magic cure also available for Oracle 7? Or can the
>Oracle 8 Thin driver also be used for Oracle 7?

yes, I am using it to connect to an Oracle 7.3.4 server.

>Also wondering why Oracle refuses any answers to these questions. Even
>Redmont offers internet support for their mass market products ...

beats me, it took me a week to find someone to address the problem.
They make suns bug parade look state of the art.

kb...@my-dejanews.com

Sep 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/21/98
In article <35e2a6ee.97189451@news>,
> ____________________________________
> "That was good . . . but not great." - Homer J. Simpson

I have gotten the 8.0.4.0.6 upgrade and now I receive a different error, shown
below. Any insight?

This occurs when initializing a callable statement, just after establishing
the database connections. The error occurs with JDK 1.1.3 on HP-UX 10.20.
Below the stack trace is the code which calls
OracleCallableStatement#registerOutParameter.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Ken Bannister

xena:/xena_home/epidaem$ java.sql.SQLException: Internal error: NLS Conversion
ratio 0 is
invalid
at oracle.jdbc.dbaccess.DBError.check_error(DBError.java:378)
at oracle.jdbc.dbaccess.DBType.setFieldsForBinds(DBType.java:28)
at oracle.jdbc.dbaccess.DBType.<init>(DBType.java:171)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleCallableStatement.registerOutParameter
(OracleCallableStatement.java:123)

at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleCallableStatement.registerOutParameter
(OracleCallableStatement.java:54)

at com.hsdc.epi.EPIDaemon.createReceivedMessageQuery(EPIDaemon.java:133)
at com.hsdc.epi.EPIDaemon.<init>(EPIDaemon.java:96) at
com.hsdc.epi.EPIDaemonServer.startServer(EPIDaemonServer.java:86) at
com.hsdc.epi.EPIDaemonServer.main(EPIDaemonServer.java:58)

private void createReceivedMessageQuery()
throws java.sql.SQLException
{
receivedMessageQuery = daemonConnection.prepareCall(
"{?= call dbms_pipe.receive_message(?, ?)}");
receivedMessageQuery.registerOutParameter(1, java.sql.Types.INTEGER);