Java plugin

Skip to the first unread message

Gustavo Seabra

1 Sept 2001, 15:30:1401/09/2001
Hello,

It is probably a stupid question but, does Java Plugin come with the JDK
1.3.1? I'm looking through my installation and can't find it!

Gustavo Seabra - Graduate Student
Chemistry Department
Kansas State University

Chris Smith

1 Sept 2001, 16:09:3401/09/2001
Gustavo Seabra wrote ...

> It is probably a stupid question but, does Java Plugin come with the JDK
> 1.3.1? I'm looking through my installation and can't find it!

Yes, it does. What, exactly, are you looking for? There's a control
panel interface to control the config details on things like caching...
but aside from that, there's no visible effect to installing the plugin
aside from applets that have been run through HTMLConverter actually
working.

Chris Smith

Gustavo Seabra

1 Sept 2001, 16:04:0701/09/2001
Thank you Chris,

Ok. But after I convert files with the HTMLConverter, they are NOT working!
I can see them ok with the appletviewer. After the conversion, I get two
copies running when I use the appletsviewer, both running ok. But, if I try
in i.e. or netscape, i reveive: "applet ______ non-initialized"

Any ideas on waht may be wrong?

Gustavo.

"Chris Smith" <cds...@twu.net> wrote in message

Gustavo Seabra

1 Sept 2001, 17:17:2401/09/2001
I tested with other applets and it did work. It seems that the problem is
with this specific one. Anyway, it does work in the appletviewer. When I try
to load it in Netscape, I receive in the Java console:

**********************
java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.io.FilePermission
right1.gif read)
at java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.checkPermission(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkRead(Unknown Source)
at sun.awt.SunToolkit.getImageFromHash(Unknown Source)
at sun.awt.SunToolkit.getImage(Unknown Source)
at PetePanel.<init>(PeteApplet.java:32)
at PeteApplet.<init>(PeteApplet.java:5)
at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.createApplet(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.createApplet(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
**********************

Would you have any idea what may causing it?

Gustavo Seabra.

Chris Smith

1 Sept 2001, 20:20:3701/09/2001
Gustavo Seabra wrote ...

> I tested with other applets and it did work. It seems that the problem is
> with this specific one. Anyway, it does work in the appletviewer. When I try
> to load it in Netscape, I receive in the Java console:

> java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.io.FilePermission
> right1.gif read)

> Would you have any idea what may causing it?

Yes. You are trying to read from a file on the local filesystem. Even
with the plugin, security safeguards are still in place.

It looks like you're trying to load some kind of icon or the like for
use in the user interface. Use resources as a way of retrieving small
data files that your applet or application depends on, which will load
from the web server when running an applet, or from the local disk when
running an application.

For details on resources, see the getResource method in Class and
ClassLoader.

Chris Smith

@rigidsoftware.com C. Lamont Gilbert

1 Sept 2001, 21:30:4501/09/2001
even after conversion, you still need to sign your applet and install its
certificate in the java keystore for your applet to work without the
security exceptions you are seeing now.

"Gustavo Seabra" <gse...@swbell.net> wrote in message

Gustavo Seabra

2 Sept 2001, 14:29:4902/09/2001
Ok. From the answers I got it seems that the problem is that I'm trying
to read files form my computer, and it gives a security error. Is that it?
If it is, it's true, because I was testing it in my HD, instead of in a web
page. Even if I put it in a web page, do I still need to sign it? Any
suggestions of where I could learn to do it?

Thanks a lot to all that answered!

Gustavo Seabra.

Gustavo Seabra

2 Sept 2001, 16:33:0702/09/2001
Hi. I've put the applet in a web page, but it still doesn't work. Could
someone help me here? what can i do to make it work? Thanks a lot!
The applet is here:

http://home.swbell.net/gseabra/java/PeteApplet.html

Thanks,
Gustavo.

Gustavo Seabra

4 Sept 2001, 18:54:0104/09/2001
Could you point me to more info on how can I do this?

GMS.

"C. Lamont Gilbert" <Lamont_Gilbert @ RigidSoftware.com> wrote in message