reading from a URL behind a firewall

Antoine Trux

Jun 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/29/00
I tried the following program (directly copied from the Java Tutorial):

import java.net.*;
import java.io.*;

public class URLReader {
URL yahoo = new URL("http://www.yahoo.com/");
BufferedReader in = new BufferedReader(
new InputStreamReader(
yahoo.openStream()));

String inputLine;

while ((inputLine = in.readLine()) != null)
System.out.println(inputLine);

in.close();
}
}

It works well on my home computer, but on my company's computer I get the
following error:

[c:\diskcopy]java URLReader
Exception in thread "main" java.net.NoRouteToHostException: Operation timed
out:
no further information
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(PlainSocketImpl.java:305)
at
java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:125)
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:112)
at sun.net.NetworkClient.doConnect(NetworkClient.java:54)
at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.openServer(HttpClient.java:320)
at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.openServer(HttpClient.java:431)
at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.<init>(HttpClient.java:260)
at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.<init>(HttpClient.java:270)
at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.New(HttpClient.java:282)
at
sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.connect(HttpURLConnection
.java:372)
at
sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream(HttpURLCon
nection.java:457)
at java.net.URL.openStream(URL.java:818)
at URLReader.main(URLReader.java, Compiled Code)

I suspect this is due to a firewall.

Does anyone know to overcome this problem?

A. Trux

Justin Couch

Jul 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/1/00
Antoine Trux wrote:

> I tried the following program (directly copied from the Java Tutorial):

[snip]

> [c:\diskcopy]java URLReader
> Exception in thread "main" java.net.NoRouteToHostException: Operation timed
> out:
> no further information
> at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)
> at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(PlainSocketImpl.java:305)

There are a number of undocumented system properties for this. I don't
have my code handy, but IIRC the names are

http.proxyServer
http.proxyPort

--
Justin Couch Author, Java Hacker