Socket error Windows getInputStream

vick...@rediffmail.com

Mar 18, 2008, 5:47:15 PM3/18/08
Hello,

Java version is 1.5.0_09. I am trying to connect from a Windows
machine to another Windows machine using sockets . Getting a socket
error for the following line. and throws EOFException

Socket s = null;
ObjectInputStream sin = null;
ObjectOutputStream sout = null;

s = new Socket( host, port );
sout = new ObjectOutputStream( s.getOutputStream() );

//write data to socket
sout.writeObject( req );
sout.flush();

InputStream is = s.getInputStream() );
sin = new ObjectInputStream( is ); // This line gives error

If I step into ObjectInputStream, I see:

public ObjectInputStream(InputStream in) throws IOException {
verifySubclass();
bin = new BlockDataInputStream(in);
handles = new HandleTable(10);
vlist = new ValidationList();
enableOverride = false;
readStreamHeader(); // This line gives error
bin.setBlockDataMode(true);
}

However, the same code works when I try to connect from Linux(Red Hat
Enterprise Linux WS release 4 (Nahant Update 5)) to Windows. Turned
off Windows firewall but no luck.

On the Windows Server I am trying to connect to a server agent waiting
on port 2002 that helps me connect to Citrix running on that machine.
The agent runs as a Windows service.

What could be wrong here?

Stack Trace

java.io.EOFException
at java.io.ObjectInputStream
$PeekInputStream.readFully(ObjectInputStream.java:2228)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream
$BlockDataInputStream.readShort(ObjectInputStream.java:2694)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readStreamHeader(ObjectInputStream.java:
761)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream.<init>(ObjectInputStream.java:277)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:
202)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:
173)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:
213)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:
178)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:
126)
at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:
105)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:
107)
at
org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:
148)
at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:
869)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol
$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11BaseProtocol.java:
664)
at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:
527)
at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.runIt(LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.java:
80)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool
$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:684)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

Knute Johnson

Mar 18, 2008, 6:25:32 PM3/18/08

I'm not sure what your problem is. I've done this quite a few times
between Windows machines with no problem. If the communications is
two-way it is usually necessary to create the ObjectOutputStream before
the ObjectInputStream. That can cause some problems but it is usually
hangs and not EOFExceptions.

Probably the simplest thing you can do here is write a couple of test
programs and see if you can see where the problem is actually happening.
Sometimes removing all the other code gets you to the problem in the
original code.

--

Knute Johnson
email s/nospam/linux/

EJP

Mar 18, 2008, 7:31:46 PM3/18/08
vick...@rediffmail.com wrote:
> java.io.EOFException

That means the other end has already closed the connection, or possibly
an intermediate router has timed out.

vick...@rediffmail.com

Mar 19, 2008, 12:21:53 PM3/19/08
On Mar 18, 6:31 pm, EJP <esmond.not.p...@not.bigpond.com> wrote:

So how do I get around this? I was able to connect until day before
and suddenly I started getting this error.

Thanks for posting your answer in both forums

vick...@rediffmail.com

Mar 19, 2008, 2:47:56 PM3/19/08

It worked after rebooting Windows a couple of times. I made no code
change.

Knute Johnson

Mar 19, 2008, 6:11:50 PM3/19/08

Ah Windows. Always something new.

vick...@rediffmail.com

Mar 19, 2008, 10:21:36 PM3/19/08
On Mar 19, 5:11 pm, Knute Johnson <nos...@rabbitbrush.frazmtn.com>
wrote:

I'm probably going to set-up an alternate dev. environment on Linux -
just in case. I lost half a day.

Knute Johnson

Mar 19, 2008, 11:48:43 PM3/19/08

They both have problems and they are different. There are a lot of
posts here "My xyz works on Linux but not on XP" or vice versa.

I'm fighting one now where a server program running on a Windows machine
gets stopped by random blow ups of svchost.exe. It will run for weeks
without a problem and then stop two or three times in one day. It's
enough to drive you nuts.

--

Knute Johnson
email s/nospam/linux/

Roedy Green

Mar 20, 2008, 4:32:46 AM3/20/08
On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 14:47:15 -0700 (PDT), vick...@rediffmail.com

>java.io.EOFException

the other end closed the stream right away.

You might want to use a protocol sniffer to see what the other end is
up to.

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/sniffer.html
--

Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary

EJP

Mar 20, 2008, 6:08:15 AM3/20/08
Roedy Green wrote:
> You might want to use a protocol sniffer to see what the other end is
> up to.

The other end, or somebody, send a FIN. No sniffing required really.