1.1.1 stumpers and weirdness and stuff thats keeping me awake all night

steve

Mar 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/31/97

1) in 1.1Final for Win95 if i started java either from a shortcut which
specified Minimized or from command line: start /m java myapp
then the console window started minimized, and the Frame was visible. In
1.1.1 both are minimized (iconified).

2) I also discovered I could find no programatic ways to Iconify either a
Frame, Dialog or the console (DOS looking command line thing in Win95)

3) Fonts (even using the SymbolTest) seem incompletely implemented: Characters
are missing, drawString() can't draw Zipfdingbats (although the Unicode 0x2700
offset shows some characters), can't get a Textarea to display characters made
with any of the Unicode offsets used in Symboltest (0x2200, 0x2700, 0x3300) in
fact it seems to trash the contents of the Textarea

4) can't find documentation on how to reference serif.0, serif.1, serif.2 fonts
except that they are supposed to be implemented in Win32 JDK 1.1.1

5) can't find documentation on how to use Font.getFont()

6) think there may also be an error in documentation which says getFont() gets
font from System property (maybe they mean Font.property).

7) system colors seem off: same code in 1.1Final now in 1.1.1 turns
Systemcolor.control from a gray to a lavender - (blech!)

8) Generating a WindowEvent Window.DEICONIFY does nothing (nor does ICONIFY)

9) setVisible(false) on a Frame application with a main() makes the Frame and
Win95 toolbar icon disappear!

10) KeyEvents are not passed on to the system (trying to programatically do an
ALT-PRINTSCREEN) (probably have to pixel grab everything, huh?)

10a) which window has focus if you System.out.prinln()?

10b) what are byte codes representing ALT-PRINTSCREEN?

11) get an error from object instantiated in main() when I try wait(1000)
saying there is a thread ownership problem (ok, I'm thick - but wait() is
defined in Object!)

Ok, I'm tired - good night all. Steve

Andrew Porebski

Apr 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/1/97

steve wrote:

Several JAVA isuues.

> Ok, I'm tired - good night all. Steve

-
There is some more:even though jdk1.1.1 has been released - even more
code has
been broken than fixed again.
PopupMenus WILL NOT Work on Solaris if a Menu is added to the popup as
one of the menu items. You get NullPointerException
appletviewer ex2.html
java.lang.NullPointerException
at sun.awt.motif.MMenuPeer.<init>(MMenuPeer.java:44)
at sun.awt.motif.MToolkit.createMenu(MToolkit.java:162)
at java.awt.Menu.addNotify(Menu.java:93)
at java.awt.PopupMenu.addNotify(PopupMenu.java:74)
at java.awt.Component.addNotify(Component.java:2085)
at java.awt.Container.addNotify(Container.java:994)
at java.awt.Window.addNotify(Window.java:103)
at java.awt.Frame.addNotify(Frame.java:145)
at java.awt.Window.show(Window.java:132)
at java.awt.Component.show(Component.java:449)
at java.awt.Component.setVisible(Component.java:412)
at app.start(app.java:10)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(AppletPanel.java:287)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java)

Run the code and later change the
p.add(new Menu("submenu 1"));
p.add(new MenuItem("submenu 1"));

this will run fine. Note that this HAS BEEN WORKING BEFORE!

Second, the bug I described in win95 that deals with popup menus
still hasn't been fixed - i.e. PopupMenu Do NOT WORK AT ALL if
they are added to the Frame that has a MenuBar - how peculiar is that.
If the Frame doesn't have a menu bar, the pop up will work halfway -
it will be shown but without title. This only occurs on win95.
Again, you can verify that with the code I'm attaching if you comment
the MenuBar code out.

import java.applet.*;
import java.awt.*;
import java.net.*;

public class app extends Applet{

public void start() {
mFrame f = new mFrame();
f.setSize(400,100);
f.setVisible(true);
}
}

class mFrame extends Frame {
PopupMenu p;
public mFrame() {
super();
add("North",new Button("push me"));

p = new PopupMenu("popup title");
p.add(new MenuItem("item 1"));
p.add(new MenuItem("item 2"));
p.add(new Menu("submenu 1"));
add(p);

add("Center",new Label("label"));
/* Comment this out and popup will show without a title on win95
*/
MenuBar e = new MenuBar();
e.add(new Menu("JDK1.1.1 stinks - write once , run everywhere -
yeah right"));
setMenuBar(e);
/* end of comment */
}

public boolean action(Event e, Object target) {
p.show((Component)this,20,60);
return true;
}
}

Also, the scrollbars on Solaris although rewritten still do not work.
Sometimes the single click on the arrow causes the scrollbar to get
stuck and scroll all the way to the end

-
Andy

-----------------------------------

David Boydston

Apr 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/1/97
to Andrew Porebski

Andrew Porebski wrote:

> steve wrote:
> >
> Several JAVA isuues.
> >
> > Ok, I'm tired - good night all. Steve
>
> -
> There is some more:even though jdk1.1.1 has been released - even more
> code has
> been broken than fixed again.
> PopupMenus WILL NOT Work on Solaris if a Menu is added to the popup as
> one of the menu items. You get NullPointerException
> appletviewer ex2.html

SNIP

and you must use dispose now to keep your dialogs from reappearing!

setVisible(false);
dispose();

I hope I don't get flamed for this...but I'm anxious to try the
Microsoft VM with 1.1 support...maybe they will fix more problems than
they introduce.
--
Dave Boydston
Solutions Consulting