More plugin woes (Was: How to switch the VM used by IE?)

1 view

Da Witch

Aug 16, 2002, 11:44:09 AM8/16/02
In <ajgv95$nar$1...@reader2.panix.com> Da Witch <heathe...@yahoo.com> writes:

>>Da Witch <heathe...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> I want to be able to switch back and forth between VM v1.3.1 and v1.4
>>> in my IE 5. Is there a simple way to do this?

I went to

> Settings | Control Panel | Java Plug-in | Advanced

and selected JRE 1.3.1 but when I tried to access an applet on the web
(one of Sun's demo applets); IE crashed with

>Runtime Error!
>Program: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORER.EXE
>abnormal program termination".

OK, so I downloaded JRE v1.3.1_04 (I couldn't find 1.3.1_01 or
1.3.1_02). After this, IE 5 started using JRE v1.3.1_04 fine. I
tried to switch back to v1.4.0 in the v.1.4.0 Java Plug-in Control
Panel, but IE ignored this request. Then I tried to switch using the
newly installed v1.3.1_04 Java Plug-in Control Panel. But now, when I
try to access a page with an applet, I get a new error dialog:

Java(TM) Plug-in 1.4 Fatal Error

The Java Runtime Environment cannot be loaded from <C:\PROGRA~1\Java\J2RE14~1.0_0\bin\hotspot\jvm.dll>

There's no directory called anything like J2RE14~1.0_0 in C:PROGRAM
FILES\Java. Where does Java get this path from??? The only directory
in C:PROGRAM FILES\Java is called j2re1.4.0_01 (note the additional
period between 1 and 4, and the additional numeral 1 at the end), and
this is precisely the directory I selected in the Java(TM) Plug-in
Control Panel->Advanced. If I search my disk for jvm.dll, I find
several, and one of them is in

C:PROGRAM FILES\Java\j2re1.4.0_01\bin\client

I tried making a shortcut called "hotspot" to this directory, but this
did not work. Maybe I also need to make a shortcut to the directory

C:PROGRAM FILES\Java\j2re1.4.0_01

but I don't know what to call this shortcut, since the error message
above abbreviates the name of the directory that the software is
looking for (I tried naming the shortcut j2re14.0_0, but this did not
work either).

If I hit [OK] in the error message mentioned above, a "Security
Warning" dialog pops up asking me if I want to install and run "Java
Plug-in 1.3". I don't understand why I'm being offered v1.3, given
that what the software has failed to find is v1.4x.

What is going on here?

My impression is that there are massive bugs somewhere in the Java
plug-in Control Panel. Has anyone actually succeeded in toggling back
and forth between 1.3.1 and 1.4.0 as Jon Skeet recommended?

Help please!

Chris Smith

Aug 16, 2002, 12:23:47 PM8/16/02
Da Witch wrote ...

> OK, so I downloaded JRE v1.3.1_04 (I couldn't find 1.3.1_01 or
> 1.3.1_02). After this, IE 5 started using JRE v1.3.1_04 fine. I
> tried to switch back to v1.4.0 in the v.1.4.0 Java Plug-in Control
> Panel, but IE ignored this request. Then I tried to switch using the
> newly installed v1.3.1_04 Java Plug-in Control Panel. But now, when I
> try to access a page with an applet, I get a new error dialog:
>
> Java(TM) Plug-in 1.4 Fatal Error
>
> The Java Runtime Environment cannot be loaded from <C:\PROGRA~1\Java\J2RE14~1.0_0\bin\hotspot\jvm.dll>
>
> There's no directory called anything like J2RE14~1.0_0 in C:PROGRAM
> FILES\Java. Where does Java get this path from??? The only directory
> in C:PROGRAM FILES\Java is called j2re1.4.0_01

That name, J2RE14~1.0_0, is a MS-DOS-ified version of j2re1.4.0_01 --
it's perfectly okay.

> My impression is that there are massive bugs somewhere in the Java
> plug-in Control Panel. Has anyone actually succeeded in toggling back
> and forth between 1.3.1 and 1.4.0 as Jon Skeet recommended?

Haven't tried. It may have to do with the registry setting at
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment called
CurrentVersion. That seems to have strange effects on whether Java works
or not, but I don't really understand it all.

Chris Smith

Mickey Segal

Aug 16, 2002, 12:49:03 PM8/16/02
"Da Witch" <heathe...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Has anyone actually succeeded in toggling back
> and forth between 1.3.1 and 1.4.0 as Jon Skeet recommended?

I am having the same problem (though I have beaten my head up against the wall
fewer times than "Da Witch"). It looks like being able to toggle back and forth
is needed to solve the problem we are trying to sort out in the thread "How can
JVM acquire more memory ?".

Da Witch

Aug 16, 2002, 2:11:18 PM8/16/02

>Da Witch wrote ...
>> OK, so I downloaded JRE v1.3.1_04 (I couldn't find 1.3.1_01 or
>> 1.3.1_02). After this, IE 5 started using JRE v1.3.1_04 fine. I
>> tried to switch back to v1.4.0 in the v.1.4.0 Java Plug-in Control
>> Panel, but IE ignored this request. Then I tried to switch using the
>> newly installed v1.3.1_04 Java Plug-in Control Panel. But now, when I
>> try to access a page with an applet, I get a new error dialog:
>>
>> Java(TM) Plug-in 1.4 Fatal Error
>>
>> The Java Runtime Environment cannot be loaded from <C:\PROGRA~1\Java\J2RE14~1.0_0\bin\hotspot\jvm.dll>
>>
>> There's no directory called anything like J2RE14~1.0_0 in C:PROGRAM
>> FILES\Java. Where does Java get this path from??? The only directory
>> in C:PROGRAM FILES\Java is called j2re1.4.0_01

>That name, J2RE14~1.0_0, is a MS-DOS-ified version of j2re1.4.0_01 --
>it's perfectly okay.

OK, I also figured out why my hotspot link to C:\Program
Files\Java\j2re1.4.0_01\bin\client was not working (is it not possible
to create a link in Win2K that does not have the .lnk extension?? If
not, add this one to the pile of Windows Design Moronics.) I simply
made a copy of directory client and called it hotspot.

Now I no longer get the error message I posted earlier, but still,
applets such as

http://java.sun.com/applets/jdk/1.0/demo/MoleculeViewer/example1.html

don't load, and 1.2+ applets like this

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/uiswing/start/HelloSwingApplet.html

produce the error shown below.

Any ideas?

java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: sun.net.www.http.KeepAliveCache.get(Ljava/net/URL;)Ljava/lang/Object;
at sun.plugin.protocol.jdk12.http.HttpClient.New(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin.protocol.jdk12.http.HttpURLConnection.privBlock(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin.protocol.jdk12.http.HttpURLConnection$PrivilegedBlockAction.run(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin.protocol.jdk12.http.HttpURLConnection.connect(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin.protocol.jdk12.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream(Unknown Source)
at sun.net.www.protocol.jar.URLJarFile.retrieve(Unknown Source)
at sun.net.www.protocol.jar.URLJarFile.getJarFile(Unknown Source)
at sun.net.www.protocol.jar.JarFileFactory.get(Unknown Source)
at sun.net.www.protocol.jar.JarURLConnection.connect(Unknown Source)
at sun.net.www.protocol.jar.JarURLConnection.getJarFile(Unknown Source)
at sun.misc.URLClassPath$JarLoader.getJarFile(Unknown Source)
at sun.misc.URLClassPath$JarLoader.<init>(Unknown Source)
at sun.misc.URLClassPath$2.run(Unknown Source)
at sun.misc.URLClassPath.getLoader(Unknown Source)
at sun.misc.URLClassPath.getLoader(Unknown Source)
at sun.misc.URLClassPath.getResource(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin.security.PluginClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadCode(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.createApplet(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.createApplet(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Da Witch

Aug 18, 2002, 1:58:52 PM8/18/02

The problem I'm discussing here is a potentially serious one,
affecting a large number of Java applets and applications. This is
because whenever a browser encounters an applet that requests v1.4x of
the plug-in, users are likely to accept the upgrade. This causes JRE
v1.3x to become overshadowed by JRE v1.4x. But v1.4x of the JRE has
produced new bugs (I have encountered at least two serious ones, both
documented in Bug Parade), which can break many applets for these
users.

It is therefore important to have a way to switch easily between JRE
v1.3.1 and v1.4.

I'm running IE 5.5 and NS 4.78 on Win2K. I went to:

Start>Settings>Control Panel>Java Plug-in 1.4.0_01 [Java Plug-in Control Panel]

Under the Advanced tab there's a combo box with the following options:

Use Java Plug-in Default
JRE 1.3 in C:\Program Files\JavaSoft\JRE\1.3.1_04
JRE 1.3.1_04 in C:\Program Files\JavaSoft\JRE\1.3.1_04
JRE 1.4 in C:\Program Files\Java\j2re\1.4.0_01
JRE 1.4.0_01 in C:\Program Files\Java\j2re\1.4.0_01
Other...

I also have

Start>Settings>Control Panel>Java Plug-in 1.3.1_04 [Java Plug-in Control Panel]

with the same options in the combo box under its Advanced tab.

3 questions:

1. How do the two Java Plug-in Control Panels interact? Does one
override the other? If so what determines which one is the active
one?

2. What determines the "Java Plug-in Default" of the first option in
the Advanced tab's combo box? How can I change this default?

3. What is the difference between choosing the second (1.3) and third
(1.3.1_04) choices above? They both point to the same directory.
Ditto for the fourth and fifth choices.

I selected JRE 1.3 under the Advanced tab of the Java 1.4.0_01 Plug-in
Control Panel, but when I point Internet Explorer 5 to

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/uiswing/start/HelloSwingApplet.html

it crashes with

Runtime Error!
Program: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORER.EXE
abnormal program termination.

2 more questions:

4. Has anybody succeeded in switching back and forth between JRE 1.3
and JRE 1.4 using one of the Plug-in Control Panels in
Start>Settings>Control Panel? If so, which Plug-in Control Panels do
you have, and which one do you use to do this? If you have only one,
how do you delete the other plug-in control panel(s) without deleting
all the associated JRE files?

5. Where else beside this NG can I go to to solve this problem? Does
Sun have any documentation on these issues? Does it have any form of
tech support for questions of this sort?

Many thanks,

Heather

Da Witch

Aug 18, 2002, 2:48:32 PM8/18/02

Tim Tyler

Aug 19, 2002, 10:34:23 AM8/19/02
Da Witch <heathe...@yahoo.com> wrote:

: Does [Sun] have any form of tech support for questions of this sort?

Sun's Java technical support options:

http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/support/
--
|im |yler http://timtyler.org/ t...@tt1.org

Mickey Segal

Aug 19, 2002, 12:37:04 PM8/19/02
"Tim Tyler" <t...@tt1.org> wrote in message news:H13Ht...@bath.ac.uk...

> Sun's Java technical support options:
> http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/support/

Maybe we should take up a collection of all the people trying to figure out a
workaround for this problem.