RemoteException

Su Potter

Dec 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/10/99
I am in a hurry to complete an RMI project I have been working on for a
while already. I have
been facing nothing but problems. I am using JDK1.2.2 on win98 (and NT see
below) for the client side and JDK1.1 on Linux on the server side.

The problem seems to be when I call a server method (specifically
addUser(ClientInterface, Channel)) a RemoteException is thrown. In the
e.printStackTrace() on the client side I get some weird messages, (see at
the bottom of the email for paste).

Things seemed to be working on NT when I was testing the client out at work
(the server is running on a remote machine at home when I'm testing at home
on win98). The problem doesn't seem to be anything to do with the client
connecting correctly to the server it seems to do that fine (I added a
System.out.println on the server side to print out if it ever got there and
it did). Also this is the second remote method call - the first works
great!!!

So I am now baffled as to why this would happen. I would appreciate your
thoughts on this matter.

Su
PS I would also appreciate it if you could CC su...@compsoc.man.ac.uk when
replying to the newsgroup.

java.rmi.ServerException: Server RemoteException; nested exception is:
java.rmi.ConnectIOException: Error creating connection to:
[192.168.0.4:2210]; nested exception is:
java.net.NoRouteToHostException: connect timed out: 192.168.0.4
java.rmi.ConnectIOException: Error creating connection to:
[192.168.0.4:2210]; nested exception is:
java.net.NoRouteToHostException: connect timed out: 192.168.0.4
java.net.NoRouteToHostException: connect timed out: 192.168.0.4
at
sun.rmi.transport.StreamRemoteCall.exceptionReceivedFromServer(StreamRemoteC
all.java:249)
at
sun.rmi.transport.StreamRemoteCall.executeCall(StreamRemoteCall.java:224)
at ChatServer_Stub.addUser(ChatServer_Stub.java:78)
at ChatGUI.subscribeToChannel(ChatGUI.java:317)
at ChatGUI.access$11(ChatGUI.java:314)
at ChatGUI$12.actionPerformed(ChatGUI.java:642)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:1066)
at
javax.swing.AbstractButton$ForwardActionEvents.actionPerformed(AbstractButto
n.java:1101)
at
javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.java:3
78)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:250)
at
javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(BasicButtonListener
.java:204)
at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:3160)
at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Component.java, Compiled Code)
at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Container.java, Compiled Code)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java, Compiled Code)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java, Compiled Code)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java, Compiled Code)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java,
Compiled Code)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:1827)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java, Compiled
Code)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java, Compiled Code)
at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java, Compiled Code)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java, Compiled Code)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java, Compiled Code)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEvent(EventDispatchThread.java,
Compiled Code)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:92)
at java.awt.Dialog.show(Dialog.java:365)
at java.awt.Component.show(Component.java:834)
at java.awt.Component.setVisible(Component.java:796)
at ChatGUI$ChannelSelectorDialog.<init>(ChatGUI.java:673)
at ChatGUI.showChannels(ChatGUI.java:311)
at ChatGUI.Connect(ChatGUI.java:266)
at ChatGUI.access$1(ChatGUI.java:247)
at ChatGUI$2.actionPerformed(ChatGUI.java:123)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:1066)
at
javax.swing.AbstractButton$ForwardActionEvents.actionPerformed(AbstractButto
n.java:1101)
at
javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.java:3
78)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:250)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton.doClick(AbstractButton.java:226)
at
javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI$MouseInputHandler.mouseReleased(Basic
MenuItemUI.java:754)
[...]
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:83)

Peter van der Linden

Dec 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/10/99
>I am in a hurry to complete an RMI project I have been working on for a
>been facing nothing but problems. I am using JDK1.2.2 on win98 (and NT see
>below) for the client side and JDK1.1 on Linux on the server side.

Some thoughts:

1. Don't you have to use an option Java 2 to compiler/runtime to
tell it to use RMI 1.1? Are you using that option?
This is in the Java FAQ.

2. Read the RMI section of the Java FAQ at http://www.afu.com
Maybe something else will jump out at you, if the option is
not the problem.

3. Read the Javasoft RMI FAQ at
http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/1.2/docs/guide/rmi/faq.html

Is it currently raining in Manchester?
I work in California, and it's raining here today!