nullpointer error in appletviewer

kerry allan

May 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/24/98

I hope this is not a lame question...

I've just downloaded and installed the latest JDK for win32

all seemed to go well

I set my path to include the e:\java\bin

and I set the CLASSPATH variable to e:\java\lib\classes.zip (even
though the instructions say this is not neccessary.

I've bee learning Java from the book Java Unleashed and I have used on
of the tutrorials ( first on in the book) It compiles fine, I built an
html page and I launch the appletviewer with the filename.html

The viewer starts, then my DOS window reports

File not found when looking for:
java.lang.NullPointerException
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.createApplet(AppletPanel.java:462)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(Compiled Code)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(Compiled Code)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Compiled Code)

Any Ideas appreciated

Thanks
Kerry