ExceptionInInitializerError with GraphicsConfiguration

Ian Dodds

Mar 2, 2001, 3:13:31 AM3/2/01

Because we only have a VGA display installed on our NT server, whenever we
try and run anything that references certain AWT components, we get the
exception below.

Does anybody if there is a way to work around this? (apart from installing
a proper card & driver?)

Thanks

Ian
java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError: java.lang.RuntimeException:
Unable to create a suitable default GraphicsConfiguration. Try changing
your Display Settings.
at sun.awt.Win32GraphicsDevice.getDefaultPixID(Native Method)
at sun.awt.Win32GraphicsDevice.getDefaultConfiguration(Unknown Source)
at sun.awt.windows.WToolkit.resetGC(Unknown Source)
at sun.awt.windows.WToolkit.<clinit>(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Toolkit$2.run(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit(Unknown Source)
at sun.awt.GlobalCursorManager$CursorEvent.<init>(Unknown Source)
at sun.awt.GlobalCursorManager.<clinit>(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Cursor.initIDs(Native Method)
at java.awt.Cursor.<clinit>(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Window.<init>(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Frame.<init>(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Frame.<init>(Unknown Source)
etc..

Tom Arne Orthe

Mar 2, 2001, 4:07:03 AM3/2/01
Ian Dodds wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Because we only have a VGA display installed on our NT server, whenever we
> try and run anything that references certain AWT components, we get the
> exception below.
>
> Does anybody if there is a way to work around this? (apart from installing
> a proper card & driver?)

My guess is that you're having 16 colours on the display, try decreasing
the resolution and increasing the number of colours to 256. IIRC AWT
wont
work with less than 256 colours.

rgds,
Tom Arne

Ian Dodds

Mar 2, 2001, 5:45:54 AM3/2/01

Thanks for your reply.

The only option is 16 colours. It does give us something to look at though.
I'll look into it.

"Tom Arne Orthe" <tom....@infostream.no> wrote in message