Java ORB CORBA error, meaning?

Thomas Richter

Mar 29, 2004, 4:14:43 AM3/29/04
Hi folks,

could someone please enlighten me? I'm getting the following exceptions
from the built-in Java ORB, and I've no idea what they could mean:

org.omg.CORBA.TRANSIENT: vmcid: 0x41540000 minor code: 2 completed: No
at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:274)
at com.sun.corba.se.internal.iiop.messages.ReplyMessage_1_2.getSystemException(ReplyMessage_1_2.java:90)

/* snip */

org.omg.CORBA.BAD_PARAM: vmcid: 0x41540000 minor code: 21 completed: No
at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:274)
at com.sun.corba.se.internal.iiop.messages.ReplyMessage_1_2.getSystemException(ReplyMessage_1_2.java:90)
at com.sun.corba.se.internal.iiop.ClientResponseImpl.getSystemException(ClientResponseImpl.java:105)
at com.sun.corba.se.internal.corba.ClientDelegate.invoke(ClientDelegate.java:314)
at org.omg.CORBA.portable.ObjectImpl._invoke(ObjectImpl.java:457)

/* snip */

I've here two machines, A and B. If I run the server on A and the client on
B, everything is fine. If I revert this and run the server on B and the
client on A, I get the above errors. If I run the client and server locally on
A, or on B, without a network, I don't get errors either.
I've no idea what's causing this.

Any help? Any idea where I would find the meaning of the "vmcid" code,
and the meaning of the "minor code"?

Greetings,
Thomas

Eric Marsden

Mar 29, 2004, 8:52:27 AM3/29/04

tr> I've here two machines, A and B. If I run the server on A and
tr> the client on B, everything is fine. If I revert this and run
tr> the server on B and the client on A, I get the above errors. If
tr> I run the client and server locally on A, or on B, without a
tr> network, I don't get errors either. I've no idea what's causing
tr> this.
tr>
tr> Any help? Any idea where I would find the meaning of the "vmcid" code,
tr> and the meaning of the "minor code"?

the vmcid identifies the ORB vendor; I don't know which one 0x41540000
identifies (possibly omniORB from the AT prefix?). The minor codes are
partially standardized by the OMG; for instance minor code 2 for a
TRANSIENT exception means "No usable profile in IOR".

<URL:http://www.omg.org/docs/omg/03-12-02.txt>

This might be due to the ORB not being able to resolve the address
embedded in the IOR, for instance due to a problem with your network
configuration.

--
Eric Marsden <URL:http://www.laas.fr/~emarsden/>