Navigator 6 and Java 1.1 applets?

Stevens

Apr 19, 2001, 12:28:37 AM4/19/01
I just wrote an animation for the opening page of my site
at :
http://home.earthlink.net/~stevens4000/

All my old browsers run it, but Nav 6 chokes, even though it
runs other 1.1 applets scattered through the site.

Are there any known issues that might lead to a solution?

Thanks ,
ms

Raymond Chui

Apr 19, 2001, 8:33:13 AM4/19/01
Stevens wrote:

Uninstall Netscape 6 and re-install it, select support java option this
time.
Default is not install java

raymond.chui.vcf

Raymond Chui

Apr 19, 2001, 8:22:02 AM4/19/01
Stevens wrote:

Uninstall Netscape 6 and re-install it, select support java option this

raymond.chui.vcf

Stevens

Apr 19, 2001, 9:17:39 AM4/19/01
Raymond,
Actually Java is installed, and runs other Java 1.1 applets on the site.

It's only choking on the opening applet. All my other browsers run
it: IE5, NN4.04, Hot Java 3.

Cheers,

Raymond Chui wrote:

> Raymond Chui <Raymon...@noaa.gov>
> SA, DBA
> NWS, NOAA
>
> Raymond Chui
> SA, DBA <Raymon...@noaa.gov>
> NWS, NOAA HTML Mail
> NOAA, NWS, Office of Hydrology, OH 1325 East-West Highway, Room 8112;Silver Spring;MD;20910-3283;U.S.A. Fax: (301)713-0963
> Work: (301)713-0624 Ext. 168
> Netscape Conference Address
> ICQ #: 16722494
> Additional Information:
> Last Name Chui
> First Name Raymond
> Version 2.1

Chris Smith

Apr 19, 2001, 10:34:09 AM4/19/01
"Stevens" <stevens4...@SPAMXearthlink.net> wrote ...

> Raymond,
> Actually Java is installed, and runs other Java 1.1 applets on the site.
>
> It's only choking on the opening applet. All my other browsers run
> it: IE5, NN4.04, Hot Java 3.

Then I guess you need to tell us more about what's happening. For example,
what do you mean by "choking"? Are you getting a runtime exception? Please
give us the exception stack trace and any relevant code.

Chris Smith

Stevens

Apr 19, 2001, 10:58:18 AM4/19/01
Chris,

Thanks for your suggestion. The java console is giving a
ClassFormatError:classname(invalid start_pc/length in local variable)

Thanks

Jos van Uden

Apr 19, 2001, 11:53:19 AM4/19/01

"Stevens" <stevens4...@SPAMXearthlink.net> wrote in message

> Thanks for your suggestion. The java console is giving a
> ClassFormatError:classname(invalid start_pc/length in local variable)

I get the same error. Other applets do run, but this one doesn't.

java.lang.ClassFormatError: oval (Invalid start_pc/length in local var
table)

Jos

Jim Sculley

Apr 19, 2001, 2:38:27 PM4/19/01
Stevens wrote:

> Chris,
>
> Thanks for your suggestion. The java console is giving a
> ClassFormatError:classname(invalid start_pc/length in local variable)

Hmmm. It fails for me using Netscape 6.0, JDK1.3 appletviewer, and
JDK1.3.1 appletviewer. Seems like a bug to me. Nothing looks out of
the ordinary in the bytecode from the class file. Can you post your
paint() code? It's the only method that isn't easy to reverse engineer
from the bytecode. I created an identical class file (except for the
painting code), and it ran OK, so seeing your paint() code may help
determine where the problem lies.

Jim S.

Stevens

Apr 20, 2001, 10:58:15 AM4/20/01
Thanks to all, and particularly to Jim Scully,
for your help. Jim nailed it by pointing to
the paint function.

The problem was solved by moving a bunch of
integers that were declared at the top of the paint
function into the global declarations at the
top of the applet. There was nothing special about them:

int i1;
int j1;
int i2;
int j2;
int i3;
int j3;
int i4;
int j4;
int tl;
int br;
int tw= (width/2); // tiny image's width
int th= (height/2); // tiny image's height

......That's it. Just moving those out of the paint function.
Seems kinda kludgy, the kind of kludge I thought was
reserved for JavaScript, but the applet is short enough
that I guess I don't really mind making them global.
If anyone else has trouble running the opening applet,
I'd appreciate your letting me know on what platform.

Thanks again for your help, people.
Your very good health,
MS
http://home.earthlink.net/~stevens4000/