2D graphic in Linux without X11

Pro

Jan 25, 2002, 1:05:15 AM1/25/02
Hi All!

How create 2D graphic (informer) in Linux without graphical environment X11.

I use awt.* and jimi.* but linux write:
----
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.InternalError: Can't connect to X11 window
server using ':0.0' as the value of the DISPLAY variable.
at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.initDisplay(Native Method)
at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.<clinit>(X11GraphicsEnvironment.java:5
----

Gordon Beaton

Jan 25, 2002, 2:34:18 AM1/25/02
On 24 Jan 2002 22:05:15 -0800, Pro wrote:
> How create 2D graphic (informer) in Linux without graphical
> environment X11.
>
> I use awt.* and jimi.* but linux write:
> ----
> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.InternalError: Can't connect to
> X11 window server using ':0.0' as the value of the DISPLAY variable.

Are you saying that DISPLAY is not set correctly or are you really not
running X?

If the former, fix either your DISPLAY setting or your X permissions
("man xauth").

Otherwise, one of the following can be used to get character
"graphics" on a text console:

http://www.pitman.co.za/projects/charva/index.html
http://home.att.net/~psantoro/jnicurses/jnicurses.html
http://www.bmsi.com/tuipeer/

If you in fact don't need to display anything but just want to use
some of the awt stuff, use Xvfb (from ftp.x.org) instead.

/gordon

--
[ do not send me private copies of your followups ]
g o r d o n . b e a t o n @ e r i c s s o n . c o m

Gordon Beaton

Jan 25, 2002, 2:34:18 AM1/25/02

========= WAS CANCELLED BY =======:
From: n...@for.email (Gordon Beaton)
Control: cancel <a2r1pq$i7r$1...@news.du.uab.ericsson.se>
Subject: cmsg cancel <a2r1pq$i7r$1...@news.du.uab.ericsson.se>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 00:18:20 GMT
Newsgroups: microsoft.test,alt.flame.niggers,comp.lang.java.help

This message was cancelled from within The Unacanceller's glorious new software, Lotus 1-2-3 For Rogue Cancellers.