Applet not running on browser

Todd Hlavacek

Jan 3, 2003, 12:46:29 PM1/3/03
Hello,

I am at my wits end with this strange problem.

I have written a signed java applet which executes a VB executable (an
editor). It works just fine when I invoke an ASP page from a Windows
2000 Professional Server.

We decided to create a separate test directory with similar contents
as the original directory to serve as a quality assurance testbed.
The same Java applet directory was created in there -- on the same
server as the original directory and under the same parent (e.g.
inetpub/wwwroot/).

For example the structure is similar to the one below:

inetpub
+---wwwroot
+---test <-- (original)
(url: http://il0015foo/testserver/editor/runEditor.asp) <<<<
| +---editor
| +---runEditor.asp
| +---runEditor.jar
+---qa
(url: http://il0015foo/testweb/editor/runEditor.asp) <<<<
+---editor
+---runEditor.asp
+---runEditor.jar

The problem came up whenever we tried to run that ASP file (in the
qa/editor directory). (NOTE: the urls for both are slightly
different...we use a virtual translation for the QA directory
testbed.) We keep on getting this error:

load: class runEditor.class not found.
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: java.io.IOException: open HTTP
connection failed.
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.getBytes(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.access$100(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin.security.PluginClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadCode(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.createApplet(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.createApplet(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

I then tried to move the qa/editor directory to the test (original)
directory and it worked. Why?

Am I missing something here? (Someone else is the IIS administrator,
so if it is really in fact something having to do with IIS, I'll pass
it on to her...I suspect it may have something to do with how IIS is
configured...dunno)

THanks,
Todd