Java Embedded Server installation on Windows 2000/NT

1 view

ghasem

Feb 1, 2002, 9:21:21 AM2/1/02
Dear people,
I have downloaded and unzipped the jes2.0 software from sun web site.
There is a class file called setup.class and the procedure to run this
class as described by the README.html file (which is in the same
folder) as follows:

INSTALLING THE JDK

If you haven't already, install the JavaTM 2 SDK, Standard Edition,
Version 1.2.2 (JDK 1.2.2, for short) on your system.

You need the JDK so that you can develop services and bundles in Java.
Use JDK 1.2.2-006 or later.
Installing the JDK also installs the Java Runtime Environment (JRE),
which allows you to run the InstallShield and JES framework.
If you do not have the JDK 1.2.2-006 installed, you can download the
latest version from the JDK download page.

Set the PATH environment variable as described in the JDK 1.2.2
installation instructions.

Set the JES_JAVA_HOME environment variable to yourJDKDirectory.

INSTALLING THE JES FRAMEWORK

If you have an earlier version of the JES framework running, open an
MS-DOS command window and shut it down:
> shutdown

Make sure you have write permission for the drive on which you want to
install JES 2.0.
If you don't, you will get the message Error: could not create
directory when you install JES 2.0.

Unzip the JES zip file using a utility program such as WinZip. The
files are placed in a folder named jes2.0 on the current drive.

Make sure your CLASSPATH environment variable contains . (the current
directory) at the beginning of the list.

Open an MS-DOS command prompt, move to the JES 2.0 folder, and start
InstallShield:
cd jes2.0
java setup

In InstallShield, click Next to continue.

Continue to follow the InstallShield prompts to install JES in the
directory you have created.

When the installation is complete, click Cancel to exit InstallShield.

From Windows Explorer, open the jes2.0\bundles folder and check the
file permissions on the JES bundles.
Look for bundles that have an R for Read-only in the Attribute column
of the file listing.

If any of the bundles have Read-only permission, right-click the
bundle name, choose Properties, then uncheck the Read-only box.

From an MS-DOS window, run runjes:
cd bin
runjes

In your terminal window, you should see:

Java Embedded Server 2.0
Copyright 1998, 1999 and 2000 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All rights
reserved.
Use is subject to license terms.
Type 'h[elp]' for a list of commands.

This means you have installed the JES 2.0 framework successfully.

I have followed the instractions as mentioned above.
Can someone tell me why it gives me the following error when I type
java setup:

at java.io.File.<init>(File.java:180)
at java.io.RandomAccessFile.<init>(RandomAccessFile.java:94)
at setup.loadOffsetTable(ArchiveClassLoader.java:344)
at setup.instantiateArchiveReader(ArchiveClassLoader.java:155)
at setup.<init>(ArchiveClassLoader.java:136)
at setup.main(ArchiveClassLoader.java:1079)

Does it have to do with installing on Windows2000 or windows2000
server?

Thank you all.