An amateur needs help from one of you comp-genius types!

Robert Brown

Dec 7, 2001, 10:19:39 PM12/7/01
Recently, I subscribed to a service called Questia Library.  It's a great service that uses a java applet to access a great many books.  The problem is that I cannot get it to work.  The program hangs up and makes a complete mess of my desktop, and I have to restart my computer in order for things to work again.  I have an HP Pavillion 8650C, and I am running Windows 98.  My internet provider is Verizon, and I am using a DSL connection.

When I contacted their tech department, they offered absolutely no help; however, in searching through the files on my computer under the directions of the technicians, I found a problem that perhaps someone can help me to fix.  When you access START->SETTINGS->CONTROL PANEL->INTERNET OPTIONS->SETTINGS->VIEW OBJECTS, I see two files that say "Java Run-time environment"     Status: Damaged      Total: None.

As I looked at the problem,  I recalled some other problems that I had had with my computer.  On my keyboard, I have buttons that connect to various places on the web.  I never use them, and they only activate when I hit them by accident.  When I use internet explorer, I get a page that says "You need to activate your Active-X controls",  and when I hit them on Netscape 6, I get a blank page with a message in the tray that says "Applet NoInit"  I copied the message that the Java Console give me after having tried this in Netscape, and this is what it said:

Java(TM) Plug-in: Version 1.3.1_01
Using JRE version 1.3.1_01 Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
User home directory = C:\WINDOWS

Proxy Configuration: Browser Proxy Configuration

c:   clear console window
f:   finalize objects on finalization queue
g:   garbage collect
h:   display this help message
l:   dump classloader list
m:   print memory usage
q:   hide console
s:   dump system properties
t:   dump thread list
x:   clear classloader cache
0-5: set trace level to <n>

load: class NSNetKey.class not found.

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: java.io.FileNotFoundException: File not found: http://buttonredirect.hp.com/connect/EN_US/NSNetKey/class.class

    at sun.plugin.protocol.jdk12.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream(Unknown Source)

    at java.net.HttpURLConnection.getResponseCode(Unknown Source)

    at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.getBytes(Unknown Source)

    at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.access$100(Unknown Source)

    at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)

    at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)

    at sun.plugin.security.PluginClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)

    at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)

    at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadCode(Unknown Source)

    at sun.applet.AppletPanel.createApplet(Unknown Source)

    at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.createApplet(Unknown Source)

    at sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(Unknown Source)

    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

I should say that in the course of attempting to fix this problem, I reinstalled IE several times, and I uninstalled, downloaded a newversion of, and re-installed the Java Plug In.  There was no change in the behavior of my system.

I am a Social Worker, and the above error message is complete greek to me.  If anyone in this group can understand it, and help me to fix my problem, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank You.

Jim Sculley

Dec 8, 2001, 2:18:25 PM12/8/01
Robert Brown wrote:

> Recently, I subscribed to a service called /Questia Library./ It's a

> great service that uses a java applet to access a great many books. The
> problem is that I cannot get it to work. The program hangs up and makes
> a complete mess of my desktop, and I have to restart my computer in
> order for things to work again. I have an HP Pavillion 8650C, and I am
> running Windows 98. My internet provider is Verizon, and I am using a
> DSL connection.
>
> When I contacted their tech department, they offered absolutely no help;

Whose tech department? Verizon, HP, or Questia?

> however, in searching through the files on my computer under the
> directions of the technicians, I found a problem that perhaps someone
> can help me to fix. When you access START->SETTINGS->CONTROL
> PANEL->INTERNET OPTIONS->SETTINGS->VIEW OBJECTS, I see two files that
> say "Java Run-time environment" Status: Damaged Total: None.
>
> As I looked at the problem, I recalled some other problems that I had
> had with my computer. On my keyboard, I have buttons that connect to
> various places on the web. I never use them, and they only activate
> when I hit them by accident. When I use internet explorer, I get a page
> that says "You need to activate your Active-X controls", and when I hit
> them on Netscape 6, I get a blank page with a message in the tray that
> says "Applet NoInit" I copied the message that the Java Console give me
> after having tried this in Netscape, and this is what it said:

<snip>

According to Questia's web site, Netscape on Windows 98 is not supported:

http://www.questia.com/support/SysReq.jsp

You should concentrate your efforts on getting it running under Internet
Explorer.

> I should say that in the course of attempting to fix this problem, I
> reinstalled IE several times, and I uninstalled, downloaded a newversion
> of, and re-installed the Java Plug In. There was no change in the
> behavior of my system.

The system requirements listed in the link I provided above suggest that
the Java Plug-In should not be required to use the service. If you have
not done so, try uninstalling the Java Plug-In and see if Internet
Explorer still has problems. If it still doesn't work, try going to a
web site with a simple Java applet and see if it works properly. For
instance, the rotating logos in the following link are a simple Applet:

http://www.abraxis.com/niceguy

If such simple stuff doesn't work, then you know that it is a problem on
your machine. If you have a newer version of IE, it may not have Java
installed at all, in which case, you will probably have to download the
Microsoft Virtual Machine. There is ac link to it in the Questia System
Requirements link I provided above.

If the simple stuff *does* work, then the problem likely rests with
Questia, and if you haven't talked to them, you should probably do so.

Jim S.