JavaSound with CMI8783 and 2.4.22 kernel

Marcus B.

Oct 3, 2003, 11:10:28 AM10/3/03
Hello,
I'm trying to get the JavaSound demo running with debian linux, 4.2.22-1
kernel and a cmi8783 soundcard. I have compiled the soundcard support into
the kernel and everything looks fine. All native apps (KDE) are able to use
the card - but the JavaSound demo does not work. If i run it using
Blackdown's jdk 1.4.1 just nothing happens when i press the play button,
not even an error message... I Sun's jdk 1.4.2_01 there appear the
following messages:
javax.sound.sampled.LineUnavailableException: Audio Device Unavailable
at com.sun.media.sound.HeadspaceMixer.nResume(Native Method)
at
com.sun.media.sound.HeadspaceMixer.implOpen(HeadspaceMixer.java:346)
at com.sun.media.sound.AbstractMixer.open(AbstractMixer.java:286)
at com.sun.media.sound.AbstractMixer.open(AbstractMixer.java:323)
at com.sun.media.sound.MixerClip.open(MixerClip.java:158)
at com.sun.media.sound.MixerClip.open(MixerClip.java:249)
at Juke.loadSound(Juke.java:257)
at Juke.run(Juke.java:409)

I wonder why the other apps are able to use the audio device, but not the
native java sound libraries...
Could anyone help me, with this? Or any ideas??

Greetings,
Marcus

Marcus B.

Oct 3, 2003, 11:14:01 AM10/3/03

VK

Oct 3, 2003, 7:42:44 PM10/3/03
Looks like an old audio bug: Java cannot close audiodevice properly and/or
cannot use it if it's already in use by a native application. It declared to
be fixed in 1.4.2 which you use -
http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/sound/techReference/mantis.html
But programmers are known for adding new bugs while fixing the old ones :-)

Marcus B. <sanch...@gmx.de> wrote in message