SecurityException on Linux

Nathan DeBardeleben

Jun 24, 2002, 1:04:17 PM6/24/02
I'm using the j2sdk_1_4_0_01 for Linux from SUN. I have had this
problem for a few versions now. My colleagues do not have this
problem but I _HAVE_ seen this posted several times to this group and
never answered.
Here is the post again, this time from me:

Running Java applications I get after a few seconds of it loaded the
following message. I get this message every couple of seconds (maybe
20?) and I always get it when the program ends, even through
control-C:
java.lang.SecurityException: Could not lockUser prefs.Lock file access
denied.
at java.util.prefs.FileSystemPreferences.checkLockFile0ErrorCode(FileSystemPreferences.java:874)
at java.util.prefs.FileSystemPreferences.lockFile(FileSystemPreferences.java:863)
at java.util.prefs.FileSystemPreferences.sync(FileSystemPreferences.java:665)
at java.util.prefs.FileSystemPreferences.flush(FileSystemPreferences.java:756)
at java.util.prefs.FileSystemPreferences.syncWorld(FileSystemPreferences.java:423)
at java.util.prefs.FileSystemPreferences.access$1200(FileSystemPreferences.java:33)
at java.util.prefs.FileSystemPreferences$9.run(FileSystemPreferences.java:416)

From the docs, the FileSystemPreferences class isn't even a default
supported class. I have tried deleting my .java directory, with no
luck. Does anyone out there have a clue how to stop this extremely
annoying message from popping up?

Help would be greatly apprecaited!
Thanks.

- Nathan.

Fantod

Jun 25, 2002, 7:37:05 AM6/25/02
[Nathan DeBardeleben]:

> java.lang.SecurityException: Could not lockUser prefs.Lock file access
> denied.

A few guesses: Do you have write access to /tmp? To the CWD? Do you have some
odd filesystem? Does the ~/.java files mention anything about preferences? If
it does, could you change it?

--
Patrick Phelan
w____\\W//___w Te Hupenui

Nathan DeBardeleben

Jun 26, 2002, 12:42:54 PM6/26/02
Fantod <fan...@geocities.com> wrote in message news:<Xns92384D77EF...@199.45.49.11>...

> [Nathan DeBardeleben]:
>
> > java.lang.SecurityException: Could not lockUser prefs.Lock file access
> > denied.
>
> A few guesses: Do you have write access to /tmp? To the CWD? Do you have
some
> odd filesystem? Does the ~/.java files mention anything about preferences? If
> it does, could you change it?

I have write access to /tmp (touch /tmp/foo), and to the CWD (touch ./foo)
and to ~/.java and all its directories. In .java there is a preferences
directory with a lock file which I can touch as well. Any other ideas?