Re: ExceptionInInitializerError ?

Chris Smith

Nov 10, 2004, 3:52:35 PM11/10/04
Digital Puer wrote:
> I'm getting this odd exception that I've never seen before. Can
> someone help me understand it so I can track it down? What does
> "Caused by" mean here?

The part about an ExceptionInInitializerError is actually irrelevant.
It only means that the problem happened in a static class initializer
(for Apache Axis's BasicHandler class).

What you need to worry about is the DiscoveryException. That's an
exception defined by a Jakarta Commons project called "Discovery". The
Jakarta Commons Discovery project appears to be an overly complicated
way of implementing an abstract factory pattern, and the problem appears
to be that there is a logger configured that doesn't extend an expected
logger interface.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

Tony Morris

Nov 11, 2004, 4:13:35 AM11/11/04
"Digital Puer" <digita...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I'm getting this odd exception that I've never seen before. Can
> someone help me understand it so I can track it down? What does
> "Caused by" mean here?

Quite simple really.
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/lang/ExceptionInInitializerError.html

--
Tony Morris
http://xdweb.net/~dibblego/

PerfectDayToChaseTornados

Nov 11, 2004, 1:04:05 PM11/11/04
"Digital Puer" <digita...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| I'm getting this odd exception that I've never seen before. Can
| someone help me understand it so I can track it down? What does
| "Caused by" mean here?
|

| java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
| at org.apache.axis.handlers.BasicHandler.<clinit>(BasicHandler.java:81)
| at org.apache.axis.client.Service.getAxisClient(Service.java:143)
| at org.apache.axis.client.Service.<init>(Service.java:152)
| at
xg.sched.ws.SchedulerCallInterfaceServiceLocator.<init>(SchedulerCallInterfa
ceServiceLocator.java:10)
| at TestLS.testLS(TestLS.java:69)
| Caused by:
org.apache.commons.discovery.DiscoveryException:org.apache.commons.discovery
.DiscoveryException
| at
org.apache.commons.discovery.tools.ClassUtils.verifyAncestory(ClassUtils.jav
a:176)
| at
org.apache.commons.discovery.tools.SPInterface.verifyAncestory(SPInterface.j
ava:201)
| at
org.apache.commons.discovery.tools.SPInterface.newInstance(SPInterface.java:
195)
| at
org.apache.commons.discovery.tools.DiscoverClass.newInstance(DiscoverClass.j
ava:579)
| at
org.apache.commons.discovery.tools.DiscoverSingleton.find(DiscoverSingleton.
java:418)
| at
org.apache.commons.discovery.tools.DiscoverSingleton.find(DiscoverSingleton.
java:378)
| at org.apache.axis.components.logger.LogFactory$1.run(LogFactory.java:84)
| at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged1(Native Method)
| at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(AccessController.java:286)
| at
org.apache.axis.components.logger.LogFactory.getLogFactory(LogFactory.java:8
0)
| at
org.apache.axis.components.logger.LogFactory.<clinit>(LogFactory.java:72)

Have you got commons-logging.jar (or a version of this) on your classpath?
The Apache/Jakarta projects often use commons-logging & this often causes a
problem (especially if you are using log4j).

--
-P
"Programs that are hard to read are hard to modify.

( Kent Beck)