PLEASE help - 3D applets not running

Hugo Bouckaert

Dec 5, 2000, 12:08:18 AM12/5/00
Hi

Thanks to all the people who responded earlier regarding the problem I
had not being able to run 3D applets. Unfortunately, after starting all
over again, I am further away from being able to runn 3D applets than
ever.

I m trying to run 3D applets on an NT machine and followed the
instructions on:

http://www.j3d.org, and in particular:

http://www.j3d.org/installing.html

I downloaded and installed all the files listed under the developer
section, plus the two downloadable files needed for running applets in a
browser from:

http://java.sun.com/products/plugin/

However, now I find myself in the situation that appletviewer does not
run any 3d applet whatsoever (it just gives me a blank screen) whereas
before some applets were loading at least.

If I run a demo applet (eg Pyramid2Cube) in my browser, a grey box
appears where the applet should render, but it merely displays the
following text:

Sending Events to applet LOAD
sending events to applet INIT
sending events to applet START

But the applet itself does not render!

On the bottom of my screen it states: Applet Pyramid2Cube notinited

This occurs irrespective whether I have used the appletconverter on all
applets in that demo directory program or not (the converter program is
downloadable form the sun site as htmlconv1.3.zip).

I am REALLY at a total loss to understand what is happening here and am
getting more and more confused. I have set my paths to the binaries
(although it states only the current path . (dot) is needed) and
classpath to the libraries (jar files). I really don't know what is
happening anymore.

Would someone be able to run me through what I should do to make this
work?

Any help will be most appreciated.

Thanks

Hugo

--
Dr Hugo Bouckaert
R&D Support Engineer, Fractal Graphics

Linda Radecke

Dec 5, 2000, 2:02:45 AM12/5/00

Hugo Bouckaert escribió:

[ ... ProblemDesription ... ]

> Would someone be able to run me through what I should do to make this
> work?

Hi !

The last step after the download and the
installation of the plug-in is to activate it :

Settings->Control Panel->Java Plugin

Linda

--

. .
. | . . . | .

Hugo Bouckaert

Dec 5, 2000, 8:50:11 PM12/5/00
Hi

Upon starting Netscape or Internet Explorer and trying to load a 3D
applet, a
window from the java plugin for running 3D applets in these browsers
comes up
with the following error message:

User home directory = C:\WINNT\Profiles\hugo
Proxy Configuration: no proxy
JAR cache enabled.

java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no J3D in java.library.path
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
at javax.media.j3d.MasterControl$1.run(MasterControl.java:389)
at javax.media.j3d.MasterControl.<init>(MasterControl.java:386)
at
javax.media.j3d.VirtualUniverse.<clinit>(VirtualUniverse.java:550)
at HelloUniverse.<init>(HelloUniverse.java:80)
at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.createApplet(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.createApplet(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

It seems for some reason the browser cannot find the jar files for
java3D, but I have classpaths set to all directories where there are jar
files, and in addition have copied the java3D jar files to different
places where there are other jar files, including the Netscape java
directory.

Would anyone be able to help me out here?

Any help will be most appreciated.

Thanks very much.

Hugo

---

Hugo Bouckaert

Dec 5, 2000, 8:56:06 PM12/5/00
Hi

directory. Note that 3D applets run Ok with appletviewer, so in that
case the paths are found.

Would anyone be able to help me out here?

Any help will be most appreciated.

Thanks very much.

Hugo

c8h10n4o2

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00
I'm getting the same kind of results:
JAR cache enabled.

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/media/j3d/Geometry

at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.createApplet(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.createApplet(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Any suggestions?
James Sandlin
c8h1...@hotmail.com
caff...@davesworld.net

c8h10n4o2

Dec 7, 2000, 7:03:51 PM12/7/00
I got it.....
copy the JAR files from $jre.home/lib/ext to $jre.home/lib.
also put them in C:\Program Files\JavaSoft\JRE\1.3\lib\ext
and C:\Program Files\JavaSoft\JRE\1.3\lib

then try to load teh files.
the first idea was off a help page and the latter two i did in unison
and one of them solved theproblem

Ryan Meyer

Dec 8, 2000, 9:46:03 AM12/8/00

See my comments below...

> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/media/j3d/Geometry

> at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Native Method)
> at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Unknown Source)
> at sun.applet.AppletPanel.createApplet(Unknown Source)
> at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.createApplet(Unknown Source)
> at sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(Unknown Source)
> at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(Unknown Source)
> at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

It looks like these are actually two separate issues. In your instance, the Java runtime
is not finding the Java3D jar file. However, in the example below, you can see that the
Java3D class VirtualUniverse is being constructed. The problem there is that the native
Java3D dll can't be found or loaded. I believe that it will be found correctly if it's
located
in the /lib/jre/bin directory in the JRE plugin that is being used. You will also probably

have to setup your policy file to allow applets to load native libraries.

Good luck,

Ryan