Applet problem on Mac

Gizzman

Nov 26, 2002, 7:09:15 PM11/26/02
Greetings all,

I've got a java applet served from an IIS web server that connects to a
second device (not a pc, but a dedicated video server called a VPON, running
it's own web server). The software on the video server creates a file
called snapshot0.jpg every second. My java applet basically connects to
this device and retrieve the image for display in the users browser. The
applet was developed on JDK 1.3.1. It works correctly on a windows based
web client, but generates the following errors when run on a Mac web client:

*********
11/26/2002 @ 15:42:0
An exception occurred:
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: liveview
at
com.apple.mrj.JManager.JMAppletClassLoader_IMPL.loadClass(JMAppletClassLoade
rOld.java)
at
com.apple.mrj.JManager.JMAppletClassLoader_IMPL.loadClass(JMAppletClassLoade
rOld.java)
at
com.apple.mrj.JManager.JMAppletClassLoader_ROOT.loadClass(JMAppletClassLoade
rOld.java)
at
com.apple.mrj.JManager.JMAppletViewer_OLD.doLoadCoad(JMAppletViewerOld.java)
at
com.apple.mrj.JManager.JMAppletViewer_OLD.setState(JMAppletViewerOld.java)
at com.apple.mrj.JManager.JMViewerEvent.post(JMAppletViewerOld.java)
at com.apple.mrj.JManager.AVDispatcherThread.run(JMAppletViewerOld.java)
Java Exception: java.lang.NullPointerException -
Stack Trace:
java.lang.NullPointerException
at
java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.stopListeningForOtherDrags(Container.java)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispose(Container.java)
at java.awt.Container.removeNotify(Container.java)
at java.awt.Window.dispose(Window.java)
at java.awt.Frame.dispose(Frame.java)
at
com.apple.mrj.JManager.JMAppletViewer_OLD.setState(JMAppletViewerOld.java)
at com.apple.mrj.JManager.JMViewerEvent.post(JMAppletViewerOld.java)
at com.apple.mrj.JManager.AVDispatcherThread.run(JMAppletViewerOld.java)

*********

The code in the html page looks as follows:

<script language="javascript">
<!--
document.write("<APPLET align='baseline' codebase='classes'
code='liveview.class' width='320' height='240'>");
document.write("<PARAM NAME='VIDEOSOURCE' VALUE='0'");
document.write("<PARAM NAME='QUERYSTRING' VALUE=''>");
document.write("<PARAM NAME='WIDTH' VALUE='320'>");
document.write("<PARAM NAME='HEIGHT' VALUE='240'>");
document.write("<PARAM NAME='INTERVAL' VALUE='1'>");
document.write("<PARAM NAME='IMAGEFILE' VALUE='snapshot0.jpg'>");
document.write("<PARAM NAME='VPONURL'
VALUE='http://username:pass...@10.253.27.4/'>");
document.write("</APPLET>");
// -->
</script>

Does anyone have any ideas why this doesn't work on a Mac, but works on
Windows?

Thanks in advance
Greg.

Cowboy Bob

Nov 27, 2002, 4:13:08 AM11/27/02
Gizzman wrote:

> Greetings all,
>
> I've got a java applet served from an IIS web server that connects to a
> second device (not a pc, but a dedicated video server called a VPON,
> running
> it's own web server). The software on the video server creates a file
> called snapshot0.jpg every second. My java applet basically connects to
> this device and retrieve the image for display in the users browser. The
> applet was developed on JDK 1.3.1. It works correctly on a windows based
> web client, but generates the following errors when run on a Mac web
> client:

<SNIP>

That's your problem right there. MacOS9 only has a 1.1 JVM. That's it, no
option to upgrade. You can get the Swing classes for it as a separate
download so at least you can use that. But other than Swing, you'll have to
limit yourself to 1.1 code. OSX shouldn't be a problem though.

Bob

--
"All I wanted in the end was world domination and a whole lot of money
to spend" - Justin Sullivan

Registered Linux User #228620