Java GUI deployment on Unix / Linux

Delali Dzirasa

Nov 12, 2003, 11:02:39 AM11/12/03
I am just about finished with my first java application, and am in the
process of testing the deployment on a windows box as well as a UNIX box. I
have research / have created an executable jar file and attempted to execute
it in a UNIX environment and got the error below..I created the application
in JBuilder 8 personal..do I need to add a specific library to run this GUI?

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.InternalError: Can't connect to X11
window

server using ':0.0' as the value of the DISPLAY variable.

at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.initDisplay(Native Method)

at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.<clinit>(X11GraphicsEnvironment.java:1

34)

at java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.getLocalGraphicsEnvironment(GraphicsEnvi

ronment.java:62)

at java.awt.Window.init(Window.java:231)

at java.awt.Window.<init>(Window.java:275)

at java.awt.Frame.<init>(Frame.java:401)

at java.awt.Frame.<init>(Frame.java:366)

at javax.swing.JFrame.<init>(JFrame.java:154)

at apl.Frame1.<init>(Frame1.java:165)

at apl.EngineeringDump.main(EngineeringDump.java:86)

apl.EngineeringDump

83 //Main method

84 public static void main(String[] args) {

85 // Data data1 = new Data();

86 Frame1 frame = new Frame1();

87

88 try {

89

90 //; FillFrame(frame);

91

92 UIManager.setLookAndFeel(UIManager.getSystemLookAndFeelClassName());

93 }

94 catch(Exception e) {

95 e.printStackTrace();

96 }

97

98

99 EngineeringDump egd = new EngineeringDump();

100

101 // frame.dm = new DataManager();

102 // frame.FlowDataToGUI(data1);

103 // frame.FlowDataToGUI(data1);

104 }

apl.Frame file:

165 public Frame1() {

166

167 enableEvents(AWTEvent.WINDOW_EVENT_MASK);

168 try {

169 jbInit();

170 }

171 catch(Exception e) {

172 e.printStackTrace();

173 }

174 }

Thanks, any assistance is greately appreciated!

Delali

Wendy S

Nov 12, 2003, 11:39:17 AM11/12/03
"Delali Dzirasa" <Delali....@jhuapl.edu> wrote in message

> I am just about finished with my first java application, and am in the
> process of testing the deployment on a windows box as well as a UNIX box.
> have research / have created an executable jar file and attempted to
execute
> it in a UNIX environment and got the error below..I created the
application
> in JBuilder 8 personal..do I need to add a specific library to run this
GUI?
> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.InternalError: Can't connect to X11
> window
> server using ':0.0' as the value of the DISPLAY variable.

Try setting your DISPLAY environment variable to your IP address followed by
:0
That's how the X server figures out where to send the graphics for display.

--
Wendy in Chandler, AZ

Brad BARCLAY

Nov 12, 2003, 12:30:04 PM11/12/03
Delali Dzirasa wrote: > I am just about finished with my first java application, and am in the > process of testing the deployment on a windows box as well as a UNIX box. I > have research / have created an executable jar file and attempted to execute > it in a UNIX environment and got the error below..I created the application > in JBuilder 8 personal..do I need to add a specific library to run this GUI? > Exception in thread "main" java.lang.InternalError: Can't connect to X11 > window > server using ':0.0' as the value of the DISPLAY variable. No, you just have to verify that your DISPLAY environment variable is set correctly, and that you're indeed running an X11 server on the system. If you're running the application as a different user or on a different host, you may need to use the xhost command to ensure that host/user has permission to write to your display. If you have to, check with your system administrator. This isn't a Java issue -- it's an issue with X server accessibility. HTH! Brad BARCLAY =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= From the OS/2 WARP v4.5 Desktop of Brad BARCLAY. The jSyncManager Project: http://www.jsyncmanager.org