JDBC Thin Driver connection problems - SOCKS server cannot conect

a...@sqlsystems.dk

Aug 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/2/99
Hej,

I am using the following tools/APIs:

1. Visual Cafe (Database Edition) v.3.0c
2. This includes JDK 1.1.7a3. JDBC Drivers 7.3.4, 8.0.4, 8.1.6
4. Oracle RDBMS v.8.0.4.0.0 (local i.e. on my little laptop!)
5. Laptop - WinNT v4.0 service pack 4

When I try to connect to Oracle via Thin Drivers in my little applet in
the AppletViewer, which comes with Vis.Cafe, I get a connection error:
Either "java.sql.SQLException: The Network Adapter could not establish
the connection" or "java.sql.SQLException: SOCKS server cannot conect to
identd". I don't get it?!?! My TNSListener80 is up, it's listening on
the necessary ports... what's the problem? Has anyone else experienced
this, or have I stumbled into unknown territory?

If you have an answer would you please be kind enough to either attach
it to this email, or send it directly to me on a...@sqlsystems.dk?

Thanks in advance,
Alexander Day

P.S. Code for the errors is below....

Using Oracle JDBC Thin Drivers v.8.1.6
====================================
java.sql.SQLException: The Network Adapter could not establish the
connection
at oracle.jdbc.dbaccess.DBError.check_error(DBError.java:406)
at
oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleConnection.<init>(OracleConnection.java:169)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver.getConnectionInstance
(OracleDriver.java:231) at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver.connect
(OracleDriver.java:208) at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection
(DriverManager.java:83)... ad nauseum

Using Oracle JDBC Thin Drivers v.7.3.4
====================================
java.sql.SQLException: SOCKS server cannot conect to identd
at oracle.jdbc.dbaccess.DBError.check_error(DBError.java:230)
at
oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleConnection.<init>(OracleConnection.java:110)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver.connect(OracleDriver.java:148)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:83)... ad
nauseum

Using Oracle JDBC Thin Drivers v.8.0.4
====================================
java.sql.SQLException: SOCKS server cannot conect to identd
at oracle.jdbc.dbaccess.DBError.check_error(DBError.java:230)
at
oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleConnection.<init>(OracleConnection.java:110)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver.connect(OracleDriver.java:148)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:83)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Dante

Aug 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/2/99
to a...@sqlsystems.dk
Alexander,
in order to be able to analyse your problem further, you would need to get
the more detailed error information.
Oracle usually sends you a more desciprtive error with a errortype and
number (something like TNS-xyz or ORA-xyz).

Just because the listner is up it doesn't mean it is working.
a) Can you connect via SQLplus using a connect string (!) to your database
(from the laptop and any other machine) ?
b) how does the connect information look like you define in the JDBC call ?

Regards
Dante

Matt

Aug 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/2/99
to a...@sqlsystems.dk
Have you attempted to run the $ORACLE_HOME/adapters
this will aid in the config and debugging of the listener.

Matt