Applet connecting to Oracle database

1 view

.nathan.

Aug 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/15/00
I am trying to connect to an oracle 8.1.5 database via an applet. The
database and the server launching the applet are on the same machine. I have
accessed the database by changing the java.policy in the jre of my browser.
I don't want to do this however. Is there someway for a client to access the
database through the applet without having to change anything on their side?
Here is the error that I am receiving

(java.net.SocketPermission my.IP.add.ress:1521 connect,resolve)
at java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.checkPermission(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkConnect(Unknown Source)
at java.net.Socket.<init>(Unknown Source)
at java.net.Socket.<init>(Unknown Source)
blah
blah
blah

.thanks.
.nathan.

Timo Rantalaiho

Aug 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/15/00

>database and the server launching the applet are on the same machine. I have
>accessed the database by changing the java.policy in the jre of my browser.
>I don't want to do this however. Is there someway for a client to access the
>database through the applet without having to change anything on their side?

Put the database functionality in a servlet and make the client
thing communicate with it by standard HTML.

You might try RMI (RmiJdbc would be an easy solution), but
probably java.policy would need to be adjusted anyway.

--
Timo.Ra...@iki.fi
Help keep Usenet clean: <URL: http://www.hut.fi/u/jkorpela/usenet/dont.html >

david%2ew

Aug 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/15/00
Try 'localhost' (first) or '127.0.0.1' (second) as the IP
address - the applet can only connect to a socket on the machine
that it came from (unless the applet was loaded from the local
file system)