Connect to a DB within a Servlet

Ba...@burd.org

May 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/26/99
I'm trying to make the following configuration:

my-local-browser --> localhost:8080 --> java-servlet --> JDBC -->
database

The database is either a local Interbase server or tinySQL -- it
doesn't much matter. I can get servlets running from my local browser,
OR I can connect to a local database using stand-alone applications,
but I can't form this entire chain. Whenever I try I get the following
message:

Error: 500
Internal Servlet Error:

java.lang.IllegalAccessException: BarryTinySQLtest
at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Compiled Code)
at com.sun.web.core.ServletWrapper.loadServlet
(ServletWrapper.java:90)
at com.sun.web.core.ServletWrapper.handleRequest
(ServletWrapper.java:109)
at com.sun.web.core.InvokerServlet.service
(InvokerServlet.java:169)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:840)
at com.sun.web.core.ServletWrapper.handleRequest
(ServletWrapper.java:140)
at com.sun.web.core.Context.handleRequest(Context.java:382)
at com.sun.web.server.ConnectionHandler.run(Compiled Code)

Is there a security issue here? If so, what's the easiest way to solve
it (aside from turning off all security on my browser)? If security
isn't the issue, what is?

Thanks.

Joseph Weinstein

May 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/26/99

There has to be something wrong with either the servlet engine's
environment, or the servlet engine's JVM, or the servlet engine
itself. Servlets should act like any full-fledged Java application,
and should be able to make a JDBC connection with any sort
of JDBC driver to any DBMS on the net.

Ba...@Burd.org wrote:

Joe Weinstein at BEA, the home of WebLogic

--
PS: Hey folks, we're hiring Java engineers for our WebLogic
Engineering group in downtown S.F. Send me your resume.

Jonathan Eric Miller

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99
Which Web server and Java Servlet engine are you using? I'm having problems
with Sun's JWS 2.0B2. I think they have some new functionality that
restricts Servlets to running in a sandbox like Applets do. You're getting a
different error message than the one that I'm getting though. Mine had to do
with a socket connection.

Jon