Network Adapter error connecting to Personal Oracle

1 view

A. Peredera

Jun 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/12/00

I am trying to connect to Personal Oracle running on my local machine.
I load the Oracle thin driver using

Class.forName("oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver");

Then I attempt to connect:

Connection con = DriverManager.getConnection(
"jdbc:oracle:thin:scott/tiger@localhost:1521:ORCL");

(The ORCL SID is correctly defined in tnsnames.ora.) However, when I
run my test program, I get the exception:

java.sql.SQLException: The Network Adapter could not establish the
connection
at oracle.jdbc.dbaccess.DBError.check_error(DBError.java)
at
oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleConnection.<init>(OracleConnection.java)
at
oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver.getConnectionInstance(OracleDriver.ja
va)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver.connect(OracleDriver.java)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:517)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:199)
at GetTabs.main(GetTabs.java:27)

I get the same error when trying to connect to a fully-functional
database server (not Personal Oracle) running on a remote host. Any
ideas about what is wrong?
--

Anatoli Peredera

You may want to edit my e-mail address in an obvious way if you are
going to reply to me and your reply is going to reach me.