Sybase, JDBC, AutoCommit, DDL IN TRAN

Richad Fallon

Feb 9, 2005, 11:19:28 PM2/9/05
Hi All,
I am hoping someone can help me with the following problem I'm
having executing Sysbase stored procedures via JDBC. When I execute a
stored procedure which contains DDL and with AutoCommit set to false I
get the following exception.

com.sybase.jdbc2.jdbc.SybSQLException: The 'CREATE TABLE' command is
not allowed within a multi-statement transaction in the 'tempdb'
database.

at com.sybase.jdbc2.tds.Tds.processEed(Tds.java:2796)
at com.sybase.jdbc2.tds.Tds.nextResult(Tds.java:2126)
at com.sybase.jdbc2.jdbc.ResultGetter.nextResult(ResultGetter.java:69)
at com.sybase.jdbc2.jdbc.SybStatement.nextResult(SybStatement.java:220)
at com.sybase.jdbc2.jdbc.SybStatement.nextResult(SybStatement.java:203)
at com.sybase.jdbc2.jdbc.SybStatement.queryLoop(SybStatement.java:1578)
at com.sybase.jdbc2.jdbc.SybCallableStatement.executeQuery(SybCallableStatement.java:102)
at org.apache.commons.dbcp.DelegatingPreparedStatement.executeQuery

When I set AutoCommit to true the exception is not thrown and the
procedure executes as expected.

The explanation for this behaviour I have found is that the JDBC
driver issues a BEGIN TRAN statement implicitly when AutoCommit is set
to false.

I need to be able to set AutoCommit to false and execute multiple
stored procedures or sql statements in the one transaction so
unfortunately I can't use the work around of setting AutoCommit to
true.

One suggestion I have found is to set the sybase database parameter
"DDL IN TRAN" to true but again I have been instructed not to modify
the stored procedures I am using or change any database settings so
this is also out.

I have found that the JDBC drivers change certain session settings
when AutoCommit is changed eg. When AutoCommit is set to false the
session mode is implicitly changed to "CHAINED ON" and if you wanted
to work with AutoCommit false and in a "CHAINED OFF" mode you would
have to execute a statement containing the text "SET CHAINED OFF".

Does anyone know of a way to execute sybase stored procedures which
contain DDL via JDBC with AutoCommit set to false without modifying
the stored procedure or the sybase database setting "DDL IN TRAN".

Kind Regards,
Richie.

Joe Weinstein

Feb 10, 2005, 1:28:45 AM2/10/05
to Richad Fallon
The short answer is that what you want to do is impossible.
If a procedure contains DDL it cannot be part of a larger
transaction unless ddl_in_tran is set. Setting autoCommit(false)
means that the first thing you do with that connection will
start a transaction.

Joe Weinstein at BEA

Karsten Baumgarten

Feb 10, 2005, 3:24:36 AM2/10/05

Using DDL in longer transactions could cause your whole system to come
to a halt. DDL commands hold locks on system tables, hence if the
transaction is running too long (where "too long" would be determined by
the system load, etc.) it might render the DBMS unusable. Therefore by
default DDL_IN_TRANS is disabled and should not be used at all (and
NEVER on tempdb). My suggestion would be to separate the DDL from the
DML statements if ever possible. That is, running the all the DML stuff
in a single transaction and the DDL with auto commit enabled.

--
Regards,

Karsten

Richad Fallon

Feb 10, 2005, 4:08:59 PM2/10/05
Hi All,
Thank you for your input. I suspected that there wasn't a way
around this with my current JDBC and Sybase setup.

I was hoping that maybe there was an update to the J-Connect jar
provided by sybase or a command that I could issue to the sybase
driver that would stop the JDBC driver issuing the BEGIN TRAN
statement at the start of every connection that has autocommit set to
false.

Thanks again and kind regards,
Richie.