Oracle JDBC driver 7.3.4.0.2

Norman Stahlheber

Jun 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/23/99
I have an Oracle database set up on my local drive on NT. I am attempting
to use jdbc to connect to the database, but I am not able to connect
successfully. I am using the oracle type 4 driver, 7.3.4.0.2, NT 4.0 sp 4,
oracle 7.3.4, jdk 1.1. The getConnection call is as follows:
conn = DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:oracle:thin:@localhost:1521:BDGT",
"username", "password");
I am not sure what the correct entry for the @ portion of the url is in the
case where I am running oracle locally. 2: is used when setting up an odbc
datasource, but I haven't had any luck with variations on that in the url.
I have tried localhost, and the tnsnames entry as well. The diagnostic
information returned in the SQLException isn't much help. Any suggestions?

Maxim Khusid

Jun 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/25/99

well, it is the only one you got. It'd be a great idea to post it,
otherwise we're counting stars in the sky

Norman Stahlheber

Jun 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/26/99
Output from SQLException e.printStackTrace()
java.sql.SQLException: BDGT.world
at oracle.jdbc.dbaccess.DBError.check_error(DBError.java:230)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleConnection.<init>(OracleConnection.java:110)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver.connect(OracleDriver.java:148)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:83)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:126)
at JdbcTest.main(JdbcTest.java:13)
at symantec.tools.debug.MainThread.run(Agent.java:48)

e.detailMessage = whatever I put for @tnsnames.ora entry e.g. "BDGT.world"
e.detailMessage.value = the url string used as first parameter to
getConnection()
e.SQLState = null

Richard Stack

Jul 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/12/99
Hello Norman,

Look at the demo program that came with the JDBC driver. You need something
like:
"jdbc:oracle:thin:@(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(HOST=000.000.000.000)(PROTOCOL=tcp)(PORT=1521))(CONNECT_DATA=(SID=ctld)))

Regards

Richard