java.rmi.MarshalException: CORBA MARSHAL 0[]

Lucian Ion

Mar 19, 2002, 8:11:07 AM3/19/02
I'm using VisiBroker for Java 4.5 with j2skd1.3.0. When I try to call a
remote method returning a Vector ,
org.omg.CORBA_2_3.portable.OutputStream::write_value() that gets called
inside the implementation base ( RemoteInterfaceNamePOA) throws a
java.rmi.MarshalException: CORBA MARSHAL 0[] which is then received by the
client. The stack is at the end. I'm running both the server and the client
using vbj so I suppose I'm not by mistake using jdk instead of vbjorb.jar.
Stub, skeleton, helper etc are generated with java2iiop from a java
interface extending java.rmi.Remote. The call works fine for other return
types. The Visibroker's release notes say that it's been tested with
jdk1.1.8, 1.2.2 and 1.3.0. I tried to use it with 1.4 but it can't find
jvm.dll in the /jre/bin/classic or hotspot directory. jdk1.4 has the dirs
client and server instead. Should I try renaming one of them to classic?
I've seen this marshaling problem described in tons of other posts, just
never
seen a clear answer to it and no workaround has been good for me.

Thanks in advance,
Lucian

Exception in thread "main" java.rmi.MarshalException: CORBA MARSHAL 0[]
at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Native Method)
at
com.inprise.vbroker.rmi.CORBA.UtilImpl.newInstance(UtilImpl.java:99)
at
com.inprise.vbroker.rmi.CORBA.UtilImpl._mapSystemException(UtilImpl.java:368
)
at
com.inprise.vbroker.rmi.CORBA.UtilImpl.mapSystemException(UtilImpl.java:572)
at javax.rmi.CORBA.Util.mapSystemException(Util.java:67)
at
business._CUserBusinessInterface_Stub.RetrieveOwnAddresses_CUserBusinessInte
rface_Stub.java:556)
at FirstGUI.MeineFrame.meineInitComponents(MeineFrame.java:136)
at FirstGUI.MeineFrame.<init>(MeineFrame.java:149)
at FirstGUI.MeineFrame.main(MeineFrame.java:556)

Lucian Ion

Mar 19, 2002, 8:12:13 AM3/19/02
I'm using VisiBroker for Java 4.5 with j2skd1.3.0. When I try to call a
method that returns a Vector remotely,
org.omg.CORBA_2_3.portable.OutputStream::write_value() which is called

inside the implementation base ( RemoteInterfaceNamePOA) throws a
java.rmi.MarshalException: CORBA MARSHAL 0[] which is then received by the
client. The stack is at the end. I'm running both the server and the client
using vbj so I suppose I'm not by mistake using jdk instead of vbjorb.jar.
Stub, skeleton, helper etc are generated with java2iiop from a java
interface extending java.rmi.Remote. The call works fine for other return
types. The Visibroker's release notes say that it's been tested with
jdk1.1.8, 1.2.2 and 1.3.0. I tried to use it with 1.4 but it can't find
jvm.dll in the /jre/bin/classic or hotspot directory. jdk1.4 has the dirs
client and server instead. Should I try renaming one of them to classic?
I've seen this problem marshal described in tons of other posts, just never
seen a clear answer to it and no workaround has worked for me.

Bill Lloyd

Mar 19, 2002, 5:54:06 PM3/19/02
Hmmm...

Not sure how you can return a java.util.Vector. Is that what you're trying
to do? Note that is not a CORBA type. Or are you trying to use the Java to
IDL mapping? My comment on that is that it's an abomination.

Don't try using JDK 1.4 at all -- it's not supported and you're sure to
encounter issues, unless you use the -Xbootclasspath: option on the command
line to interrupt the normal boot loading systems (the solutions which
worked with JDK 1.3.x and 1.2.x, sadly, don't work with JDK 1.4). It's best
to wait for vendor support -- recall JDK 1.4 is only a month old and it
takes the vendors 3 months or so to support a new JDK version.

Cheers,

-Bill

"Lucian Ion" <dontspa...@softgate.ro> wrote in message

Lucian Ion

Mar 20, 2002, 4:52:02 AM3/20/02

"Bill Lloyd" <b_l...@nixme.eudoramail.com> wrote in message

> Hmmm...
>
> Not sure how you can return a java.util.Vector. Is that what you're
trying
> to do? Note that is not a CORBA type. Or are you trying to use the Java
> IDL mapping? My comment on that is that it's an abomination.

Actually that's what I'm doing, using the Java to IDL mapping. You probably
have very good reasons to call it like that, but it looks the fastest way
for a newbie to get a simple application working.

> Don't try using JDK 1.4 at all -- it's not supported and you're sure to
> encounter issues, unless you use the -Xbootclasspath: option on the
command
> line to interrupt the normal boot loading systems (the solutions which
> worked with JDK 1.3.x and 1.2.x, sadly, don't work with JDK 1.4). It's
best
> to wait for vendor support -- recall JDK 1.4 is only a month old and it
> takes the vendors 3 months or so to support a new JDK version.

Well I found the problem and it wasn't because of the JDK I'm using but
because objects that I was inserting into the Vector didn't implement
Serializable. Anyway there are also other reasons why I'd like to use JDK
1.4 with VisiBroker. I'm wondering how long will it take Borland to release
a new ORB version

Thank your answering,
Lucian