IDE for gfortran on Linux/windows

Alex van der Spek

Aug 20, 2013, 9:14:28 AM8/20/13
Can you share experience/recommends for a (free) IDE on Linux/Windows for
gfortran?

All insight welcome!
Alex van der Spek

Stansfield Temmelmeier

Aug 20, 2013, 9:26:48 AM8/20/13
Netbeans is good ide for few languages. Works fine for gfortran with c++
plugin. Bit heavy because Java requires alot of memory. It has also nice gui
interface to gdb debugger. Should work similar in Linux and windows.

Stan

Rafik Zurob

Aug 20, 2013, 3:38:25 PM8/20/13
"Alex van der Spek" wrote
> Can you share experience/recommends for a (free) IDE on Linux/Windows for
> gfortran?

Photran is an eclipse-based IDE for Fortran.
http://www.eclipse.org/photran/

Regards

Rafik

baf

Aug 20, 2013, 10:39:03 PM8/20/13
Code::Blocks IDE for Fortran (binaries are available for Linux and
Windows). See

http://darmar.vgtu.lt/

Zaak

Sep 11, 2013, 4:53:45 PM9/11/13
Emacs. Steep learning curve but well worth it. Depending on the compiler you can even get on the fly syntax checking, warnings, lint etc with flymake.

fabio.pi...@gmail.com

Oct 15, 2013, 4:34:58 PM10/15/13
I tried code::block with the fortran plugin and windows build of gfortran (http://tdm-gcc.tdragon.net/) It works perfectly gdb debugger included (I mean inside the UI!!). On top, it can manage your prject pretty well and it has a nice code completion. In win 7 work basically out-of-the-box, I guess under Linux is even better (but I did not try it personally yet).
Have fun
Fabio

Jan Wittke

Oct 16, 2013, 4:27:21 AM10/16/13
I use Eclipse but I think I would use Code::Blocks if there were any
version control in there.

Eclipse has a nice subversion integration. Code::Blocks has no real
version control.

Jan

mlo...@gmail.com

Oct 16, 2013, 9:59:21 AM10/16/13
Seconding the Photran plugin for Eclipse. I found its refactoring tools to be immensely helpful when dealing with a large legacy code -- things like selecting a chunk of code from a long source file and automatically converting it to a subroutine, and scanning "use module" things to edit them to "use module, only: ..."

athanasiak...@gmail.com

Oct 16, 2013, 4:48:22 PM10/16/13
There ain't any ide like emacs. I second you. Automatic spell-checking, versioning, comparing versions, completion, commenting/uncommenting entire regions, multiple windows with the same or different codes (side by side, top and under), etc, etc ... too many useful things to mention them all. Worth any initial effort. Once learned you will never seek anything else to replace it.

Adam Hirst

Oct 28, 2013, 2:01:00 PM10/28/13
On 15/10/13 21:34, fabio.pi...@gmail.com wrote:
> I tried code::block with the fortran plugin and windows build of
> gfortran (http://tdm-gcc.tdragon.net/) It works perfectly gdb
> debugger included (I mean inside the UI!!). On top, it can manage
> your prject pretty well and it has a nice code completion. In win 7
> work basically out-of-the-box, I guess under Linux is even better
> (but I did not try it personally yet).

I'll second Code::Blocks for Fortran, as an Arch Linux user. It's great.

It's a bit of a pain to build the FortranProject plugin for vanilla C::B
12.11, but the full "C::B + Fortran plugin" binaries on the
FortranProject site (Linux64 for me) work fine.