Kids learning programming in Forth

Luis Mendes

May 12, 2018, 10:26:38 AM5/12/18

The only Forth I've tried was Easy Forth and liked very much. There's a
ESP8266 that's been waiting for me for a long time already. I don't
have any electronics background, so I've yet to learn how to interpret
schematics and connect peripherals to the boards, breadboards and the
like, in order to make something useful.

Having said this, I'm writing to this newsgroup because I recall that
once I've read (but can't find) that there was a Forth project meant for
kids to learn how to program. I'd like to know about that to (maybe)
start exploring Forth as my heart desires to teach it to my kid. Either
this or we have to go with Scratch.

--

Luis Mendes

Zbig

May 12, 2018, 11:28:07 AM5/12/18
> Having said this, I'm writing to this newsgroup because I recall that
> once I've read (but can't find) that there was a Forth project meant for
> kids to learn how to program. I'd like to know about that to (maybe)
> start exploring Forth as my heart desires to teach it to my kid. Either
> this or we have to go with Scratch.
>
> --
>

> Luis Mendes

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Forth_Lessons

http://home.iae.nl/users/mhx/sf.html

jpit...@gmail.com

May 13, 2018, 8:13:29 AM5/13/18
Luis, have a look at https://wiki.forth-ev.de/doku.php/en:projects:a-start-with-forth:start0 very much there is without special HW and even SW - just using the PC - and as a plus you will find the easyFORTH documentation there as well. All to read online or for download and print.

jpit...@gmail.com

May 13, 2018, 8:20:46 AM5/13/18
On Saturday, 12 May 2018 15:26:38 UTC+1, Luis Mendes wrote:
And if youn need more, see https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.lang.forth/73bUqVhqcec or the eBook Forth Bookshelf at https://wiki.forth-ev.de/doku.php/en:projects:pintaske_s_electronic_forth_bookshelf
The Forth Lite Tutorial helped me - thenks to Leo Wong.

lsng....@gmail.com

May 14, 2018, 6:34:18 AM5/14/18
On Saturday, May 12, 2018 at 10:26:38 PM UTC+8, Luis Mendes wrote:
> Luis Mendes

Here's the link to my post about creating a Forth clone (5GL, Fifth Generation Graph Language) for web browser programming:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.lang.forth/J1n6yafogPA

It should be more relevant to youngsters -- high level stuff, can be done on mobile phones.

In fact, the example site 5gl.pagekite.me is hosted on a mobile phone using pagekite protocol.

In the pipeline: 3D graphics programming using 5GL.