do forth people simply create thier own databases in forth?

polymorph self

Feb 4, 2016, 10:25:25 PM2/4/16
say you had an app to move medical images around the continent from hospital to hoispital

Dennis Ruffer

Feb 5, 2016, 8:33:30 AM2/5/16
On Thursday, February 4, 2016 at 10:25:25 PM UTC-5, polymorph self wrote:
> say you had an app to move medical images around the continent from hospital to hoispital

This code has a long history of use in polyFORTH and gforth:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49100658/pFDatabase-5.zip

anders...@gmx.de

Feb 7, 2016, 5:52:14 AM2/7/16
A big thank-you for this, Dennis !!!!

I have been using Forth now and then over the last 40 years, but was not aware of this. In the olden days one would perhaps just use blocks. Today perhaps a SQLite interface. But your and your colleagues' work is neater.

Jason Damisch

Feb 7, 2016, 6:59:31 AM2/7/16

> say you had an app to move medical images around
> the continent from hospital to hoispital

The database part might not be the most difficult
part of that particular problem.

Yes, I've created Forth databases. You might be encouraged
these days to interface to SQL or one if its ilk, but you
can create a Forth database.

It can be as simple as dividing 2 Meg into rows and then loading
and unloading the 2 Meg from disk into RAM and back, or it can
be something like what Dennis showed you.

There is simplicity in complexity and there is complexity in
simplicity. Or, to put it another way, everything is a
compromise. There is no such thing as a Free Lunch.

Jason

Ron Aaron

Feb 7, 2016, 7:08:40 AM2/7/16
On 02/07/2016 13:59, Jason Damisch wrote:

> Yes, I've created Forth databases. You might be encouraged
> these days to interface to SQL or one if its ilk, but you
> can create a Forth database.

8th includes SQLite inside as well as the ability to talk to MySQL (if
the appropriate libs are on the system). So if you do want SQL, 8th
makes that very easy.

For other forms of database you might just use a persisted "map" or
"array", depending on how complex your needs are.