ANN: Forth web server with Forth Server Pages now available

Rene

Nov 14, 2017, 4:53:39 PM11/14/17
Version 0.7 of Colono, a portable Forth Web Server has been released.
This release includes support for Forth Server Pages.

See https://sourceforge.net/projects/colono/

--
Rene Hartmann

foxaudio...@gmail.com

Nov 15, 2017, 8:24:43 AM11/15/17
This is interesting Rene. Can you tell us more about it?
Why did you create it?
What are the unique features?
What are the limitations if any?

I am curious if it can handle multiple connections.

Rene

Nov 15, 2017, 3:38:41 PM11/15/17
Yes, it can. It uses an event-based model for request processing.
This way it can handle many open connections without threads or forking
other processes.

The sever is not so much aimed at a replacement for web servers like
Apache or Nginx. Rather, my goal was to make it possible to write web
applications using Forth.

gavino himself

Nov 17, 2017, 3:10:19 PM11/17/17
On Tuesday, November 14, 2017 at 4:53:39 PM UTC-5, Rene wrote:
holy shit!!
this is wht I have been waiting for!

Liang Ng

Nov 18, 2017, 8:04:12 AM11/18/17
Please see 5gl.epizy.com/zh/glv.html

Not meant to be a competition with your idea, but complementary, 5GL (the Fifth Generation Graph Language) is designed to translate ANY existing programming languages (composite abstract syntax tree) into Forth like (primitive abstract syntax tree) language.

It is aimed to attract younger programmers to start writing programs pseudo Forth, which of course will feed into your target user base.

5GL also support full Unicode arbitrary alias, ie. functions can be aliased into any Unicode language, with unlimited level of aliasing. This will finally fulfilled the dream of non Latin programmers to have a programming language that can be written completely in non Latin language.

Julian Fondren

Nov 18, 2017, 8:01:10 PM11/18/17
Nice work. I put it to a few uses and wasn't disappointed. It was
capable of serving an RPGMaker MV game, for example. It looks like you
went to some trouble to keep the code portable, but Portable SWOOP,
objects.fs, and FMS work for all of your supported Forths. Any would
provide a better look than

: >request-buf-size ( conn-addr -- a-addr )
2 CELLS + ;

: >request-buf-pos ( conn-addr -- a-addr )
3 CELLS + ;

: >response-buf ( conn-addr -- a-addr )
4 CELLS + ;

You can use also S\" \l" instead of S\" x0a"

Your work isn't shown off well by being hosted on SourceForge however,
with all its ads and past misbehavior and with it not using your
webserver. I suggest that you get a small cheap VPS and then use your
own webserver. For source code et al., take a look at fossil:

https://fossil-scm.org/index.html/doc/trunk/www/index.wiki

You can see some examples of it for Forth projects at:

https://fossil.net2o.de/net2o/doc/trunk/wiki/net2o.md (a lot of
content and history)
http://src.minimaltype.com (some very small projects of mine, using
fossil in CGI mode)

My pages require JS as part of a small gesture of hostility towards
non-human visitors, but that's not required by fossil.

If you've never hosted anything before, a VPS with cPanel will be more
expensive but easier to set up without assistance. I also wouldn't
mind personally helping someone out for a Forth site.

Rene

Nov 21, 2017, 5:32:16 PM11/21/17
Am 19.11.2017 um 02:01 schrieb Julian Fondren:
> On Tuesday, November 14, 2017 at 3:53:39 PM UTC-6, Rene wrote:

> Your work isn't shown off well by being hosted on SourceForge however,
> with all its ads and past misbehavior and with it not using your
> webserver. I suggest that you get a small cheap VPS and then use your
> own webserver. For source code et al., take a look at fossil:
>
> https://fossil-scm.org/index.html/doc/trunk/www/index.wiki

Everybody seems to be on GitHub these days, but I got used to Mercurial
so I stuck with SF.

Julian Fondren

Nov 21, 2017, 6:09:11 PM11/21/17
Sure. It's not a big deal. Although, if it's just Mercurial you like,
Bitbucket also offers that.

john

Nov 22, 2017, 5:56:58 AM11/22/17
In article <b3561a02-8b6f-4c53...@googlegroups.com>,
julian....@gmail.com says...
If its an issue you're welcome to upload it to my public server if you like.
You can do it in the forum and run a support thread there if that helps.
(Its a private server (not virtual - I dont recommend those))

Its pretty much unused so feel free - if you need help doing it let me know.
(offer is open to any compiler producers)

--

john

=========================
http://johntech.co.uk
=========================

Albert van der Horst

Nov 22, 2017, 7:25:23 AM11/22/17
In article <MPG.347f685e7...@news.virginmedia.com>,
I've also a private CVS-server for contributors to ciforth.
But for publishing things you're almost forced to use github
sourceforge and the like.

(By the way , I hate git , what a time waster. What source control
systems do you use? )

>--
>
>john

Groetjes Albert

Lars Brinkhoff

Nov 22, 2017, 8:39:55 AM11/22/17
Albert van der Horst wrote:
> By the way , I hate git , what a time waster. What source control
> systems do you use?

I have used CVS, Subversion, ClearCase, Mercurial, and git. In roughly
that order. I only became fully comfortable using version control when
I learned git. I understand how it works, and it doesn't put any
restrictions on what I can do.

john

Nov 24, 2017, 7:02:28 AM11/24/17
> In article <ov3qcf$2qm$1...@cherry.spenarnc.xs4all.nl>, alb...@cherry.spenarnc.xs4all.nl says...
> >If its an issue you're welcome to upload it to my public server if you like.
> >You can do it in the forum and run a support thread there if that helps.
> >(Its a private server (not virtual - I dont recommend those))
> >
> >Its pretty much unused so feel free - if you need help doing it let me know.
> >(offer is open to any compiler producers)
>
> I've also a private CVS-server for contributors to ciforth.
> But for publishing things you're almost forced to use github
> sourceforge and the like.
>
> (By the way , I hate git , what a time waster. What source control
> systems do you use? )
>

> Groetjes Albert

Hi Albert

Well - lets just say I have a very low opinion of how all (it seems online) software
is produced and maintained these days and leave it there.

I do agree with the earlier post - sourceforge is a bloody mess these days. I'm amazed
anyone would want to use it.

But then the same can be said for most of the web - you can't even get a search engine
that responds to the question asked anymore.

o...@geek42.info

Nov 29, 2017, 11:32:20 PM11/29/17
its cool
but i got failed when executing it by using
`gforth httpd/colono.fs`