R\W Memory Card SDHC under Forth

jean-...@buechi-schmitt.ch

Apr 16, 2017, 4:36:14 AM4/16/17
Hello,
Question 1:
I am looking for information on
The read \ write protocols of the memory cards
Type SDHC used in cameras Videos for example.
Are there Libraries under Forth?
Thank you for your answers.

Question 2:
I am looking for information on the types of connectors for mounting SDHC memory cards on a printed circuit board.
Thank you for your answers

cordially
Jean-Pierre Schmitt

Mark Wills

Apr 16, 2017, 5:47:24 AM4/16/17
There's quite a few Arduino libraries written in c that use SPI. They use FAT 16 and FAT 32. They are in C but should be easy to port.

Albert van der Horst

Apr 16, 2017, 6:43:01 AM4/16/17
In article <1dca4aba-23e6-4df2...@googlegroups.com>,
One tip. Instead of using hard to find connectors for micro cards,
use the micro to normal size adapter. Solder the gold pads, and you're
good to go.

>cordially
>Jean-Pierre Schmitt

Groetjes Albert

David Schultz

Apr 16, 2017, 7:59:47 AM4/16/17
On 04/16/2017 03:36 AM, jean-...@buechi-schmitt.ch wrote:
> Hello, Question 1: I am looking for information on The read \ write
> protocols of the memory cards Type SDHC used in cameras Videos for
> example. Are there Libraries under Forth? Thank you for your
> answers.

I have used the specification to write code to access SD(HC) cards in C
and Forth. Mostly using SPI but currently the high speed hardware in the
Teensy 3.6. The standard is up to version 4 now.

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/pls/

Damn, make that 5. I put a version for SPI up here:
http://home.earthlink.net/~schultdw/msp430/eforth/sd/index.html

This is enough to get data on and off the card but does not provide a
file system, FAT or otherwise. The code is unfortunately in a form
suitable for an assembler since it is used with an eForth implementation.

> Question 2: I am looking for information on the types of connectors
> for mounting SDHC memory cards on a printed circuit board. Thank you
> for your answers

I get 'em from Mouser. (Warning: They are all surface mount.)

--
David W. Schultz
"Life without stock is barely worth living..." - Anthony Bourdain

rickman

Apr 16, 2017, 11:04:37 AM4/16/17
On 4/16/2017 7:59 AM, David Schultz wrote:
> On 04/16/2017 03:36 AM, jean-...@buechi-schmitt.ch wrote:
>> Hello, Question 1: I am looking for information on The read \ write
>> protocols of the memory cards Type SDHC used in cameras Videos for
>> example. Are there Libraries under Forth? Thank you for your
>> answers.
>>

> I have used the specification to write code to access SD(HC) cards in C
> and Forth. Mostly using SPI but currently the high speed hardware in the
> Teensy 3.6. The standard is up to version 4 now.
>
> https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/pls/
>
> Damn, make that 5. I put a version for SPI up here:
> http://home.earthlink.net/~schultdw/msp430/eforth/sd/index.html
>
> This is enough to get data on and off the card but does not provide a
> file system, FAT or otherwise. The code is unfortunately in a form
> suitable for an assembler since it is used with an eForth implementation.
>
>> Question 2: I am looking for information on the types of connectors
>> for mounting SDHC memory cards on a printed circuit board. Thank you
>> for your answers
>
> I get 'em from Mouser. (Warning: They are all surface mount.)

For prototyping you might want a connector mounted to a module. They
can be found many places such as sparkfun.com, eBay and Aliexpress.

--

Rick C

Stephen Pelc

Apr 17, 2017, 11:35:00 AM4/17/17
On Sun, 16 Apr 2017 01:36:13 -0700 (PDT),
jean-...@buechi-schmitt.ch wrote:

>Hello,
>Question 1:
>I am looking for information on
>The read \ write protocols of the memory cards
>Type SDHC used in cameras Videos for example.
>Are there Libraries under Forth?
>Thank you for your answers.

The Professional versions of the MPE cross compilers for 32 bit CPUs
include a FAT12/16/32 file system and several SD/MMC card drivers.
The feature matrix can be found at:
http://www.mpeforth.com/software/forth-cross-compilers/forth-7-cross-compilers/

Stephen

--
Stephen Pelc, steph...@mpeforth.com
tel: +44 (0)23 8063 1441, fax: +44 (0)23 8033 9691

pbj...@gmail.com

Apr 24, 2017, 2:56:41 AM4/24/17
I have interfaced SDHC and FAT32 running on a virtual memory layer all in Tachyon Forth for the Parallax Propeller. You can open up to 4 files and simply access the files with an offset or other means. You can use a file or the volume as a virtual memory. My Ethernet server use this layer to serve up files but I also do a lot of data logging to them as well. I can even run a file as a script or load it as source etc.

EASYFILE SDHC FAT32
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0rdvs8zfqixj8jf/EASYFILE-V4r3.FTH?dl=0

General Tachyon Forth folder - lots of useful stuff
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yzrczasnorqp5i9/AAAFn8MPpVN4jsSQ74mqNBUDa?dl=0

As for connectors they are very very cheap when you buy them by the box load but when I first prototyped I just used a card edge connector with the right pitch. Of course the microSD + soldered carrier is probably the quickest and cheapest way these days to prototype with connectors.