Emacs and gforth

Bill Zimmerly

Jun 27, 2016, 12:35:02 AM6/27/16
I started the emacs server with:

$ emacs --daemon

I started gforth and tried to locate locate:

$ gforth
Gforth 0.7.9_20160616, Copyright (C) 1995-2015 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
Gforth comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `license'
Type `bye' to exit
locate locate *ERROR*: Symbol's function definition is void: forth-find-tag
ok

Gforth experts - where do I go from here? I've been searching on the error message but find the answers to be too confusing to follow.

Thanks in advance!

- Bill

Anton Ertl

Jun 27, 2016, 5:20:38 AM6/27/16
Bill Zimmerly <billzi...@gmail.com> writes:
>*ERROR*: Symbol's function definition is void: forth-find-tag

That's an emacs error message, and it means that you have not loaded
gforth.elc (or gforth.el).

- anton
EuroForth 2016: http://www.euroforth.org/ef16/

Bill Zimmerly

Jun 27, 2016, 8:06:40 AM6/27/16
Thanks Anton! That worked. :)

- Bill

Coos Haak

Jun 27, 2016, 9:23:09 AM6/27/16
Op Mon, 27 Jun 2016 09:18:51 GMT schreef Anton Ertl:

> Bill Zimmerly <billzi...@gmail.com> writes:
>>*ERROR*: Symbol's function definition is void: forth-find-tag
>
> That's an emacs error message, and it means that you have not loaded
> gforth.elc (or gforth.el).
>
> - anton

Does not work for me. Must I do this:
emacs --daemon
gforth gforth.el
or
emacs --daemon gforth.el
gforth
or
something else?

No difference with cygwin or native linux.
groet Coos

Anton Ertl

Jun 27, 2016, 10:20:47 AM6/27/16
Coos Haak <chf...@hccnet.nl> writes:
>Op Mon, 27 Jun 2016 09:18:51 GMT schreef Anton Ertl:
>
>> Bill Zimmerly <billzi...@gmail.com> writes:
>>>*ERROR*: Symbol's function definition is void: forth-find-tag
>>
>> That's an emacs error message, and it means that you have not loaded
>> gforth.elc (or gforth.el).
>>
>> - anton
>
>Does not work for me. Must I do this:
> emacs --daemon
> gforth gforth.el
>or
> emacs --daemon gforth.el
> gforth
>or
> something else?

The usual way is to described in

https://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/forth/gforth/Docs-html/Installing-gforth_002eel.html#Installing-gforth_002eel

It would be better to have the Gforth installer include this stuff in
the site-lisp directory or something. When I last looked (many years
ago), there was no reliable way to do this, so I didn't. Maybe there
is in the meantime. Or we approach the Emacs people to include at
least the first four commands.

Bill Zimmerly

Jun 27, 2016, 8:53:01 PM6/27/16
Guys, this worked for me...

(setq load-path (cons "~/src/gforth-0.7.9_20160616" load-path))
(load "gforth")

1. I use Mint Linux 17.3.

2. Downloaded and built emacs 24.5 using "./configure --with-x-toolkit=lucid".

3. I started an instance of emacs and ran "M-x server-start".

4. When I ran gforth in a xterm, I typed "locate locate".

5. The Emacs instance reacted by asking me where the TAGS file is.

6. I replied with "~/src/gforth-0.7.9_20160616/", and up popped the source for the locate word.

(Thanks again, Anton.)

Bill Zimmerly

Jun 27, 2016, 8:56:18 PM6/27/16
Ooops ... #6 should be...

6. I replied with "~/src/gforth-0.7.9_20160616/TAGS", and up popped the source for the locate word.

(I left the TAGS off of the previous message.)