Help me! - Dos error 51

Al Tom

May 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/4/99
Someone has experience with an error (Dos error 51) under windows 95/98
generated from a program clipper 5,2?
The program line that generates the error is : COPY TO filename.dbf FOR
- create error - filename.dbf
dos error 51

under dos I do not have errors

Thank You

jdm

May 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/4/99
Al Tom wrote in message <7gmuu6$hd6$1...@serv1.iunet.it>...

>Someone has experience with an error (Dos error 51) under windows
95/98
>generated from a program clipper 5,2?
>The program line that generates the error is : COPY TO filename.dbf
FOR
>- create error - filename.dbf
>dos error 51

What this means is that the Clipper engine is unable to create the
file. This could be for a number of reasons. There may not be enough
disk space. There may not be any more file handles available. There
may already be a file by the same name. There may be some kind of
weird sharing conflict going on with Windows. There may be an illegal
character in the file name you are giving it. There might not be any
more file name slots available in the directory you are creating it
in. (highly unlikely, unless you got thousands of files in the same
directory.)

Process of elimination.

jdm

Ron Nugent

May 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/5/99
DOS error 51 is access denied. I suspect the securities for the Win95 user
is not set to allow for a new file to be created.

Ron Nugent
r...@theprogrammer.net

Al Tom wrote in message <7gmuu6$hd6$1...@serv1.iunet.it>...
>Someone has experience with an error (Dos error 51) under windows 95/98
>generated from a program clipper 5,2?
>The program line that generates the error is : COPY TO filename.dbf FOR
>- create error - filename.dbf
>dos error 51

Ray Marron

May 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/6/99
In article <92593571...@news.remarQ.com>,

"Ron Nugent" <r...@theprogrammer.net> wrote:
> DOS error 51 is access denied. I suspect the securities for the
Win95 user
> is not set to allow for a new file to be created.
>
> Ron Nugent
> r...@theprogrammer.net

DOS error 5 is "Access Denied". DOS error 51 is "Remote computer not
listening". I wonder if the original poster didn't actually mean 5
(seems most likely), but typed 51.
--
Ray Marron

Ray Marron

May 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/6/99
In article <7gsdn1$2ip$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

Ray Marron <raym...@my-dejanews.com> wrote:
> DOS error 5 is "Access Denied". DOS error 51 is "Remote computer not
> listening". I wonder if the original poster didn't actually mean 5
> (seems most likely), but typed 51.

The original poster has since sent e-mail confirming error #51.
I have never seen this error before, but can imagine if the file being
copied to is on a network share/drive that the computer hosting this
drive may be down. That's my best guess with what little I know.

David G. Holm

May 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/7/99
This has come up in this newsgroup several times before. From what I recall,
it has something to do with the workstation's connection to the server
getting closed unexpectedly. If you do a DejaNews search on "DOS error 51"
in comp.lang.clipper, you should be able to find the solution.
--
David G. Holm, Managing Member
Joint Software Development L.L.C

Paul Wasserman

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99
This can happen when someone has a file in use and you're trying to create that
same file via set alternate to, and the like.