Clipper problems on new Notebook Internal Error 4424. Please HELP!!!!

George Sencovici

Jul 29, 2001, 3:55:01 AM7/29/01
Sorry if I am asking a stupid question.

I used to have a very well oiled Clipper environment with Summer 87, Clipper
501, and Clipper 5.2e on a Dell XPI notebook (150MHz, 32MB RAM, QEMM Memory
Manager). It worked for years, remarkably well.

Just ported the whole thing to an Win 98 IBM X20 Notebook, 600Mhz. I have a
dual boot arrangement via Partition Magic 6.0 / Boot Magic, so in theory,
when I boot into MS-DOS (a 2GB partition, max for DOS) I see a
self-contained DOS environment. Had to give up QEMM (which is too moody and
too hardware sensitive, but otherwise, I could detect no impact attributable
to this particular issue, with exception of a possible confusion between EXP
and EXT memory. I tried both arrangements, knowing that one of them, it's
not liked by Clipper.

Also, all the temp files are thrown on a RAM-DRIVE for improved performance,
including those created/used during compilation.

When running otherwise well-proven program, I am getting the error
DBCREATE(0), Internal error 4424.

Also when compiling programs with Blinker 4.1, and when programs use
internal overlays, I am getting the Blinker error 1130, "Unable to create
MENU.OVL", where MENU.EXE is supposed to be the executable.

What am I missing??

I thank you in advance for your help. Much appreciated

George Sencovici

Jul 29, 2001, 11:03:09 AM7/29/01
Just wanted to let you know that the question may not be "fair". The
problems are most likely related to memory management. I think Clipper
hates Expanded or Extended memory (not recall exactly which one) and I feel
the problem is this area, I do not have yet a clean memory environment.
Will continue to work on this, though if anyone has any idea, I would still
welcome it...:-)

Thank you all

George Sencovici
(908)273-8263
gsen...@home.com

"George Sencovici" <gsen...@home.com> wrote in message

Ian Gavin

Jul 29, 2001, 11:57:17 PM7/29/01
Try setting the DOS Environment Variable 'TEMP' to valid folder eg SET
TEMP=C:\TEMP and make sure to have a TEMP folder on drive C:

Regards, Ian Gavin

George Sencovici

Jul 30, 2001, 12:43:09 AM7/30/01
Ian,

Thank you for your reply. I do have a C:\TEMP directory and I have a SET
TEMP=C:\TEMP in AUTOEXEC.BAT.
If I may, what made you to think that this may be the problem? While your
answer itself is not the answer, your reasoning may bring me closer to it.

Thank you

George

"Ian Gavin" <igav...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

David G. Holm

Jul 30, 2001, 12:45:53 PM7/30/01
gsen...@home.com (George Sencovici) wrote in <xB597.493944$K5.53464496
@news1.rdc1.nj.home.com>:

>If I may, what made you to think that this may be the problem? While your
>answer itself is not the answer, your reasoning may bring me closer to it.

He was probably thinking of the following Clipper 5.2e Internal Error
Norton Guide entry. But I suspect that you don't have a FILES=nn line in
your AUTOEXEC.DOS file.

4424 Temp file creation error

Error creating temporary file for indexing or sorting. This error can
be received for several reasons: insufficient file handles, an invalid
TEMPPATH or insufficient network rights for the directory where
temporary files are created. Note that temporary files are created in
the current directory if no TEMPPATH is specified.

Action: Correct the environment. If insufficient network rights is
the problem, either give the user the necessary rights, or redirect the
temporary file to a more appropriate directory.

David G. Holm

Jul 30, 2001, 12:59:36 PM7/30/01
c...@jsd-llc.com (David G. Holm) wrote in <90EE84AA2dghattglobalnet@
207.126.101.100>:

> But I suspect that you don't have a FILES=nn line in your AUTOEXEC.DOS

I obviously meant CONFIG.DOS where I typed autoexec.dos...

Dick Koster

Jul 30, 2001, 5:58:29 PM7/30/01

David G. Holm wrote in message <90EE873BEdgh...@207.126.101.100>...

Didn't you mean CONFIG.SYS ?

Dick

Stephen Quinn

Jul 30, 2001, 7:48:11 PM7/30/01
Dick

> Didn't you mean CONFIG.SYS ?

No - Config.dos is correct

When you boot into DOS mode the Autoexec.bat and config.sys are
replaced/used by their *.dos counterparts and used for the DOS boot - and
put back when going back into windows.

Actually I'm not sure if 'replaced' is correct maybe I should say if they
exist they're the ones that are used.

--
HTH
Steve Quinn

Dick Koster

Jul 31, 2001, 5:47:33 AM7/31/01

Stephen Quinn wrote in message
<3b65f2bb$0$20911$7f31...@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au>...

>Dick
>
>> Didn't you mean CONFIG.SYS ?
>No - Config.dos is correct
>
>When you boot into DOS mode the Autoexec.bat and config.sys are
>replaced/used by their *.dos counterparts and used for the DOS boot - and
>put back when going back into windows.
>
>Actually I'm not sure if 'replaced' is correct maybe I should say if they
>exist they're the ones that are used.

Live and learn!

I now also found::
http://ume.med.ucalgary.ca/usenet/Win95/0009.html

on this subject,

Dick

Ian Gavin

Aug 1, 2001, 4:26:06 AM8/1/01
George, I should have said...

Try setting the DOS Environment Variable 'TEMP' to valid folder eg SET
TEMP=C:\TEMP and make sure to have a TEMP folder on drive C: - also make
sure that the CLIPPER environment variable is set to C:\TEMP. I know when I
use the temp folder by creating indices on the fly that I get this error
when the C:\TEMP folder does not exist.

In AUTOEXEC.BAT (or AUTOEXEC.NT if NT or 2000) ...SET TEMP=C:\TEMP
In BLINKER MAKE file ...BLINKER EXECUTABLE CLIPPER //F:199
//SWAPPATH:'C:\TEMP' TEMPPATH:'C:\TEMP'

Regards, Ian Gavin.

"George Sencovici" <gsen...@home.com> wrote in message

David G. Holm

Aug 1, 2001, 1:12:18 AM8/1/01
t...@dse.nl (Dick Koster) wrote in <9k4lad$1urhg$1...@reader01.wxs.nl>:

>Didn't you mean CONFIG.SYS ?

No, because he is booting into MS-DOS mode, which uses CONFIG.DOS.

George Sencovici

Aug 1, 2001, 1:47:17 AM8/1/01
Hey guys,

To all of you who took the time to answer to my desperate cry for help -
THANK YOU!

A couple of clarifications:

a) No, I am not booting in DOS. I am in DOS. Partition Magic, with its
companion product Boot Magic allows you to create a bootable partition in
vrtually any OS, in this particular case, DOS. It is actually DOS, even
though there are several other partitions, one of them bootable in Win98.
Once at the time of booting you chose a partition, that is it. One has
nothing to do with the other.

b) My environmental variables and the CONFIG.SYS were right. Config.sys had
and still has FILES=99, SET TEMP pointed to existing valid C:\TEMP directory

c) The whole thing is standalone, nothing to do with rights and networks

d) Don't recall exactly if the SWAPFILES within BLINKER were right, most
likely yes. I don't know exactly what caused this problem, but within hours
I either solved somehow, or it disappeared. I have sent a message
accordingly to this group.

Even though I was able to do that, I have learned a lot from you. I find
this group enormously helpful and the participants extremely friendly,
competent and willing to help.

THANK YOU again for pitching in.

Bless you all.

George Sencovici