Erratic internal error 1210 in clipper 5.2e app using DBFCDX - Error (0/1)

Carlos Vazquez

Jun 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/2/97

I have an application written in clipper 5.2e and using DBFCDX driver.
The problem arises erraticaly under different circumstances, but
always when the program works on the same database. (I can assure you
that the code that manages this and even all databases, indexes. etc.
is perfectly tested for years and performing without problems).
I've found that it crashes with different errors, sometimes internal
error 1210, sometimes GPFs showing me the registers but not the reason
for crashing, sometimes says that DBGOBOTTOM or DBGOTOP or DBSKIP is
invalid. I've tested it in both Real and Protected Mode, and linked it
with RTLink, Exospace 1.0g and Blinker 4.1 but the problem is still
there.¿?
I've been working with the same type of code for all my programs for
years and never found such an error...
Finally I linked it with Exospace with MAP option to see what is the
function or module that crashes and find that it is allways the same:
CDXCORE_TEXT.
Following is part of the MAP file that Exospace generates and the
modules where seems to be the problem.
Any clue overthere??
Thanks in advance.

Edis Tamoshauskas

Jun 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/3/97

Hi, Carlos, -

Carlos Vazquez <frin...@arrakis.es> wrote in article
<3392ee4...@news.arrakis.es>...

> I have an application written in clipper 5.2e and using DBFCDX driver.
> The problem arises erraticaly under different circumstances, but
> always when the program works on the same database. (I can assure you
> that the code that manages this and even all databases, indexes. etc.
> is perfectly tested for years and performing without problems).
> I've found that it crashes with different errors, sometimes internal
> error 1210, sometimes GPFs showing me the registers but not the reason
> for crashing, sometimes says that DBGOBOTTOM or DBGOTOP or DBSKIP is
> invalid. I've tested it in both Real and Protected Mode, and linked it
> with RTLink, Exospace 1.0g and Blinker 4.1 but the problem is still
> there.¿?

<SNIP>

As docs state it: 1210 - Data and Index files out of sync - check it once
again if all indexes are open on update.

There is another try too - I found DBFCDX to be rather senstitive in case
of bad records/inconsistent structure of DBF. So ceck out if all records
and esp. their key fields have valid values. Then you can repump this DBF
into newly created ctructure.

HTH,

-- Edis
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Eduardas Tamoshauskas
linas_...@geoCities.com
http://www.geoCities.com/Paris/6122
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
D O N ' T G E T V I R T U A L !

Carl Zebooker

Jun 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/3/97
to Carlos Vazquez

Carlos Vazquez wrote:
> I have an application written in clipper 5.2e and using DBFCDX driver.

The DBFCDX and DBFMDX RDDs supplied with Clipper versions 5.00 through
5.2e are broken. Don't use either of them.

Solutions:
1) Upgrade to v5.3 (with all the latest patches).
2) Buy either Comix or SixDriver RDD.

Brian Dukes

Jun 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/4/97

Carl Zebooker <ca...@bitxbit.com> wrote:

Am I right in thinking that Successware still haven't moved their SixDrivers
upto version 5.3x yet?

Bri.
--
Brian Dukes - email: bdu...@crox.demon.co.uk
http://www.crox.demon.co.uk/cellar

My ideas are my own, my thoughts are my own! Nobody wants em!

Craig Jarvis

Jun 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/4/97

Hi

The DBFCDX driver in 5.2e is broken! And that's just about all I know
about that!

Bye

Craig Jarvis
Cape Town, South Africa

Steve Quinn

Jun 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/4/97

Carlos

The DBFCDX driver in Clipper5.2 is Sixdriver V1.0, you are experiencing
problems that are in this particular version.

Upgrade to or buy Sixdriver V3 or Comix V3 and your problems will go away.

HTH
--
Steve Quinn
BRUTE Computer Services - Australia

Carlos Vazquez <frin...@arrakis.es> wrote in article
<3392ee4...@news.arrakis.es>...

> I have an application written in clipper 5.2e and using DBFCDX driver.

> The problem arises erraticaly under different circumstances, but
> always when the program works on the same database. (I can assure you
> that the code that manages this and even all databases, indexes. etc.
> is perfectly tested for years and performing without problems).
> I've found that it crashes with different errors, sometimes internal
> error 1210, sometimes GPFs showing me the registers but not the reason
> for crashing, sometimes says that DBGOBOTTOM or DBGOTOP or DBSKIP is
> invalid. I've tested it in both Real and Protected Mode, and linked it
> with RTLink, Exospace 1.0g and Blinker 4.1 but the problem is still
> there.¿?

Carl Zebooker

Jun 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/5/97
to Brian Dukes

Brian Dukes wrote:
> Carl Zebooker <ca...@bitxbit.com> wrote:
> >Carlos Vazquez wrote:
> >> I have an application written in clipper 5.2e and using DBFCDX driver.
> >The DBFCDX and DBFMDX RDDs supplied with Clipper versions 5.00 through
> >5.2e are broken. Don't use either of them.
> >Solutions:
> >1) Upgrade to v5.3 (with all the latest patches).
> >2) Buy either Comix or SixDriver RDD.
> Am I right in thinking that Successware still haven't moved their SixDrivers
> upto version 5.3x yet?

If my memory of my most recent visit to their web site (about two
monthsa ago), they supported versions through 5.2e at that time. Don't
know about the present, though.

Carlos Vazquez

Jun 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/5/97

><SNIP>
>
>As docs state it: 1210 - Data and Index files out of sync - check it once
>again if all indexes are open on update.
>
>There is another try too - I found DBFCDX to be rather senstitive in case
>of bad records/inconsistent structure of DBF. So ceck out if all records
>and esp. their key fields have valid values. Then you can repump this DBF
>into newly created ctructure.
>
>HTH,
>
>-- Edis
The problem seems to be the original DBFCDX driver supplied with 5.2e.
I've tested Comix Driver v3.0 and it works fine where DBFCDX crashed.
And as I said in the original message, the program is tested ok. No
logical error. Just driver erratic errors...
Ok CA, let's dance...
Aun hay esperanza para todo aquel que esta entre los vivos...
Saludos desde Orense
frin...@arrakis.es