Second beta release of gawk 4.1.4

Aharon Robbins

May 30, 2016, 4:14:20 PM5/30/16
This note is to announce the second BETA release of GNU Awk 4.1.4.

It is available from:

http://www.skeeve.com/gawk/gawk-4.1.3g.tar.gz

This is a bug-fix release.

So, why do a beta release? So that you, yes you, the end user, can see
if anything I've done breaks gawk for you. Then you can TELL ME ABOUT
IT so that I can fix it for the final release.

Thanks,

Arnold Robbins
arn...@skeeve.com
Copyright (C) 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016,
Free Software Foundation, Inc.

Copying and distribution of this file, with or without modification,
are permitted in any medium without royalty provided the copyright
notice and this notice are preserved.

Changes from 4.1.3 to 4.1.4
---------------------------

1. Updated to GNU autoconf 2.69, automake 1.15, gettext 0.19.7,
texinfo 6.1, texinfo.tex 2016-02-05.07, libtool 2.4.6.

2. z/OS support updated.

3. At the beginning of each statement, the debugger now checks and
reports watchpoints that have fired before checking for breakpoints.
This gives more natural behavior to the user.

4. The "exit" command has been added to the debugger as an alias
for "quit".

5. AIX 7.1 should pass the test suite now. Similar for Minix.

6. VMS support has been updated.

7. The profiler / pretty-printer now chains else-if statements instead
of causing cascading elses.

8. The return value of system() has been enhanced to convey more information.
See the doc.

9. Attempting to write to the "to" end of a two-way pipe that has been
closed is now a fatal error. Similarly, so is reading from the "from"
end that has been closed.

10. MinGW support has been updated.
--
Aharon (Arnold) Robbins arnold AT skeeve DOT com

jh

Aug 12, 2016, 5:22:38 PM8/12/16
Thanks for this. It's nice to know an unattended program won't just hang if I screw up.

Marc de Bourget

Aug 25, 2016, 11:52:04 AM8/25/16
Just out of interest: Is it possible to compile GAWK with the "Open Watcom C Compiler 1.9?"? I have heard good things about this compiler concerning speed (although the compiler itself seems to be a bit old-fashioned).

Aharon Robbins

Aug 25, 2016, 1:58:49 PM8/25/16
In article <430eecad-2fe9-425e...@googlegroups.com>,
Marc de Bourget <marcde...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Just out of interest: Is it possible to compile GAWK with the "Open
>Watcom C Compiler 1.9?"? I have heard good things about this compiler
>concerning speed (although the compiler itself seems to be a bit
>old-fashioned).

I have no idea. Why not do the experiment and see?