XML Gawk on MacOSX

Desiderius

Feb 4, 2016, 5:03:41 AM2/4/16
Hi all

How to have a working version of XML gawk on MacOSX ?

When I try to compile it, it complains about a missing gawapi.h ?

Any idea ?

Hermann Peifer

Feb 4, 2016, 1:16:54 PM2/4/16
I assume you were following the indications at
https://www.gnu.org/software/gawk/manual/html_node/gawkextlib.html ?

I can't remember having done anything beyond what is described there. I
am using MacPorts, though.

Hermann

Desiderius

Feb 5, 2016, 2:28:55 AM2/5/16
Of course I have followed these instructions and the ones of :

http://www.tramm.li/iWiki/XmlGawkMacOSX.html

but I wonder why the "configure" script is not finding gawapi.h anywhere ?

I have "greped" the directory without finding it

Janis Papanagnou

Feb 5, 2016, 3:06:14 AM2/5/16
First, "gawapi" is a strange name, and I could not find it if grep'ing all
files in the source hierarchy. Files with the more sensible name "gawkapi"
are there, though; you'll find gawkapi.c, gawkapi.h in the source directory
of the standard 4.1.3 source distribution. Now I'm not sure whether you are
referring to that version or something else. In former times there was a
special variant derived from gawk called xgawk (with XML support). Now you
find XML support available in the main branch of gawk through an extension.

Janis

Hermann Peifer

Feb 5, 2016, 1:32:58 PM2/5/16
On 2016-02-05 8:28, Desiderius wrote:
> Of course I have followed these instructions and the ones of :
>
> http://www.tramm.li/iWiki/XmlGawkMacOSX.html

The above page mentions: "Mac OS X 10.3.5", "gawk-3.1.3 installation on
Panther", and is "last modified: $Date: 2010/10/13 19:10:58". These
software versions are in the museum by now.

Start from Gawk manual, then, as written there: Next, go to
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gawkextlib/files to download gawkextlib ...

Hermann

Andrew Schorr

Feb 7, 2016, 10:22:10 AM2/7/16
You can find build instructions in the gawkextlib project here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gawkextlib/files
If you have installed gawk in a non-standard location, then
the gawkextlib configure scripts may not be able to find gawkapi.h
unless you supply the --with-gawk=<path> argument. Normally, gawkapi.h
can be found in /usr/include/gawkapi.h on Linux systems. What version of
gawk have you installed?

Regards,
Andy