Networking question

MadSharker

Sep 25, 2015, 4:03:55 PM9/25/15
Hi all,
I tried with no result to establish a connection to a https web site.
I've never had any problem with plain http, but I would like to use gawk to
get data from a secured web site.
Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Kees Nuyt

Sep 26, 2015, 9:12:51 AM9/26/15
Gawk can only open a raw socket. All protocol handling has to be
done in the awk script itself.

It would be much easier to retrieve the page using wget or cups,
they both can handle https. Then process the result in awk.

Alternatively, you might want to run some local proxy to translate
https to http, vice versa, and connect gawk to that proxy.

--
Regards,
Kees Nuyt

MadSharker

Sep 26, 2015, 9:36:10 AM9/26/15

"Kees Nuyt" <k.n...@nospam.demon.nl> ha scritto nel messaggio

> Gawk can only open a raw socket. All protocol handling has to be
> done in the awk script itself.

Thank you for your answer; I feared this was the cause.
Anyway, I would appreciate the GAWK manual would be clearer on this issue -
SSL web services are increasing in popularity...

Luuk

Sep 26, 2015, 10:47:49 AM9/26/15
On 26-09-15 15:12, Kees Nuyt wrote:
> It would be much easier to retrieve the page using wget or cups,

wget or ....

the intention was probably 'curl'

;)

Kenny McCormack

Sep 26, 2015, 11:05:57 AM9/26/15
In article <5606afec$0$23750$e4fe...@news.xs4all.nl>,
One could always put out a series of cups and hope that the data falls into
them.

--
"If our country is going broke, let it be from
feeding the poor and caring for the elderly.

--Living Blue in a Red State--

MadSharker

Sep 27, 2015, 7:55:43 AM9/27/15

"Kenny McCormack" <gaz...@shell.xmission.com> ha scritto nel messaggio

> One could always put out a series of cups and hope that the data falls
> into
> them.

or be printed somewhere...

Kees Nuyt