tawk compiler

Laurent Marc

Jun 7, 2015, 7:39:30 AM6/7/15
--Hi,

i just want to know the difference in compiling awk code using:

awkcw -xe -z prog.awk

or: awkcw -eoe -xe -z prog.awk

what -eoe parameter means ? does it produce faster byte code ?

thank you --

Kenny McCormack

Jun 7, 2015, 9:19:54 AM6/7/15
In article <b2a5955a-40a2-4f83...@googlegroups.com>,
I'm assuming that the actual problem here is that you don't have a manual.

It's too bad that Pat Thompson, wherever he is, doesn't release a freely
available version of the manual. Although, I suppose that would be
equivalent to making the software itself freely available, since the
software is easily copyable; the only thing stopping it from being totally
copyable is the printed manual.

Anyway, my manual says:

* -ee (This option is two letters). Disables filename expansion of filenames
* in the ARGV array of the compiled program. The filename patterns of are
* left in the ARGV array, allowing you to do your own filename expansion, if
* you so desire. Note that a compiled TAWK program still processes filename
* patterns in each element of the ARGV array when it comes time to read and
* process that filename, so this option does not actually disable the use of
* filename patterns in the compiled program. It just makes the original
* filename patterns show up in the ARGV array. As usual, if your program
* changes any element of the ARGV array before TAWK processes that element as
* a filename. TAWK processes the changed ARGV element rather than the
* original.

* -eo (This option is two letters). Suppresses default command line
* processing of options by the compiled TAWK program. Specifically, the
* compiled TAWK program will ignore any -F, -v, -w or -- options in its
* command line.

At the end of the above section, it says:

* The -eo and -ee options can be combined, for example: -eoe

So, the bottom line is that -eoe means to disable both of these features.
I've never used either of these options.
Why anyone would want to do that, is beyond me...

--
"Insisting on perfect safety is for people who don't have the balls to live
in the real world."

- Mary Shafer, NASA Ames Dryden -

Laurent Marc

Jun 7, 2015, 11:07:35 AM6/7/15
Ok, thank you for this help.

oh just another thing, i have read that TAWK v6 seems to be somewhere available, right or wrong ?