Replace Germany Sharp C char

moonhkt

Jul 29, 2017, 1:12:19 PM7/29/17
Hi All

Address have Sharp C,ß, like Siemensstraße, How to Replace it to other value ?

With print value "Siemensstraße" gawk exit , return 1.

OS Old,
Gawk 3.1.3 on Old Machine

No problem on gawk 4.1.3 on ubuntu

moonhkt

Janis Papanagnou

Jul 29, 2017, 1:32:29 PM7/29/17
On 29.07.2017 19:12, moonhkt wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Address have Sharp C,ß, like Siemensstraße, How to Replace it to other value ?

(sharp S)

> With print value "Siemensstraße" gawk exit , return 1.
>
> OS Old,
> Gawk 3.1.3 on Old Machine

I interprete that you want to do a replacement on an old machine where the
used tool does not support non-ASCII characters?

One general question is; what character encoding (what locale) do you use
on your old machine (ASCII, Latin-1, UTF-8)? And which character encoding
is used in the data file?

Have you other tools available that support extended characters sets?

Can you convert the data (using iconv) to match a format supported by the
available tools?

Janis

moonhkt

Jul 30, 2017, 4:32:48 AM7/30/17
The file is UTF-8. The Germany,ß case gawk exist when printing.

Werner Flamme

Aug 3, 2017, 6:49:18 AM8/3/17
moonhkt [30.07.2017 10:32]:
You did not answer the question which locale you use. This is important
for gawk. Gawk sure will not exit on ß when you have "LANG=de_DE.UTF-8"
;) (and all the LC_* variables with the same value).

Werner