Server Side Includes

masonc

May 24, 2015, 1:54:43 AM5/24/15
It works for me. I'm on my way. However it requires an "S" .shtml

My .htaccess in my directory is:

# ForceNoProxy On
ErrorDocument 404 /badpage.html
Options +Includes
AddType text/html shtml
AddHandler server-parsed shtml
AddType text/x-server-parsed-html .html

The last lines are supposed to allow .html without the s
Is it correct?

Thanks for any comment.

By the way, is this the correct group to discuss SSI ?
MasonC http:\\frontal-lobe.info

Luuk

May 24, 2015, 3:18:40 AM5/24/15
I see this in my config files:
#
# Filters allow you to process content before it is sent to the client.
#
# To parse .shtml files for server-side includes (SSI):
# (You will also need to add "Includes" to the "Options" directive.)
#
#AddType text/html .shtml
#AddOutputFilter INCLUDES .shtml

Server version: Apache/2.4.6 (Linux/SUSE)
Server built: 2015-05-05 14:50:55.000000000 +0000

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

May 26, 2015, 9:27:52 AM5/26/15
masonc wrote:

> By the way, is this the correct group to discuss SSI ?

No.

> […] http:\\frontal-lobe.info

That is _not_ a URI.

PointedEars
--
Sometimes, what you learn is wrong. If those wrong ideas are close to the
root of the knowledge tree you build on a particular subject, pruning the

Grant

May 26, 2015, 3:03:13 PM5/26/15
On Tue, 26 May 2015 15:25:10 +0200, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <Point...@web.de> wrote:

>masonc wrote:
>
>> By the way, is this the correct group to discuss SSI ?
>
>No.
>
>> […] http:\\frontal-lobe.info
>
>That is _not_ a URI.

No? Link brings up a web page, what more do you need?

Grant.

>PointedEars

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

May 26, 2015, 3:25:13 PM5/26/15
Grant wrote:

> On Tue, 26 May 2015 15:25:10 +0200, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn
> <Point...@web.de> wrote:

It’s attribution *line*, _not_ attribution novel.

>>masonc wrote:
>>> […] http:\\frontal-lobe.info
>> That is _not_ a URI.
>
> No?

Yes, it is _not_ a URI.

> Link brings up a web page,

There is no link. (And there are no “web pages”.)

> what more do you need?

I do not need anything. But unless this is one of the unlikely cases where
a Web author wants to emphasize that he has not understood the Web, Mason
needs to make a change.

FYI: <http://tools.ietf.org/html/std66>

(Did you notice anything above?)

PointedEars
--
> If you get a bunch of authors […] that state the same "best practices"
> in any programming language, then you can bet who is wrong or right...
Not with javascript. Nonsense propagates like wildfire in this field.
-- Richard Cornford, comp.lang.javascript, 2011-11-14

masonc

May 26, 2015, 3:52:44 PM5/26/15
I have no idea what you mean by "this is not a URL."

http://frontal-lobe.info

I tried W3C validator:

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=frontal-lobe.info

and got four minor errors -- to be fixed in due course as
I re-design the page.

I would appreciate knowing anything you see wrong with
that URL: frontal-lobe.info

By the way, I have that domain registered for nine more years.

masonc

May 26, 2015, 3:54:08 PM5/26/15
oh, by the way, there are NO SSI's there yet -- I'm working on them

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

May 26, 2015, 4:13:19 PM5/26/15
masonc wrote:

> I have no idea what you mean by "this is not a URL."

I wrote “That is _not_ a URI.”

> http://frontal-lobe.info

But I did not write it below text that looked exactly this way.

> I would appreciate knowing anything you see wrong with
> that URL: frontal-lobe.info

That is _not_ a URL.

> By the way, I have that domain registered for nine more years.
^^^^^^
That still does not make it a URL.

PointedEars

Christoph M. Becker

May 26, 2015, 4:41:29 PM5/26/15
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:

> masonc wrote:
>
>> http://frontal-lobe.info
>
> But I did not write it below text that looked exactly this way.

Hint for those who didn't read the thread (and don't want to look the
messsage up): formerly it was http:\\frontal-lobe.info

Interestingly, current Thunderbird presents either as link, the latter
pointing to http://\\frontal-lobe.info/. Even more interestingly,
current Chrome accepts this malformed URI and corrects it, while current
Firefox does not.

--
Christoph M. Becker

tlvp

May 26, 2015, 9:46:34 PM5/26/15
On Wed, 27 May 2015 05:03:16 +1000, Grant wrote:

>>> […] http:\\frontal-lobe.info
>>
>>That is _not_ a URI.
>
> No? Link brings up a web page, what more do you need?

What PointedEars was lamenting was the NW-SE slant of the slashes. To make
it a proper (kosher, halal) URI those slashes ought to slant NE-SW. Got it?
Pity's just that he couldn't bring himself to say so explicitly.

Cheers (sigh!), -- tlvp

masonc

May 27, 2015, 1:39:47 AM5/27/15
On Tue, 26 May 2015 21:46:33 -0400, tlvp <mPiOsUcB...@att.net> wrote:

>>>That is _not_ a URI.
>>
>> No? Link brings up a web page, what more do you need?
>
>What PointedEars was lamenting was the NW-SE slant of the slashes. To make
>it a proper (kosher, halal) URI those slashes ought to slant NE-SW. Got it?
>Pity's just that he couldn't bring himself to say so explicitly.
>
>Cheers (sigh!), -- tlvp

Thanks. I wondered what he was going on about.

OK, it should be http://frontal-lobe.info (and I got to display is again)

More fun it was when the Library of Congress refused "info" as a URL/I suffix.
They fixed it after I yelled at them -- they thought it had to be "com".

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

May 27, 2015, 2:10:09 AM5/27/15
masonc wrote:

> OK, it should be http://frontal-lobe.info (and I got to display is
> again)

Yes. Even better, <http://frontal-lobe.info/>, with a trailing slash, to
avoid the redirection on your server if the user agent does not append it.
(The “<” and “>” are prudent as delimiters in plain text; see the URI
standard.)

> More fun it was when the Library of Congress refused "info" as a URL/I
> suffix.

A domain name is _not_ a URI/URL. It can only be part of one.

> They fixed it after I yelled at them -- they thought it had to be
> "com".

Ouch.

PointedEars
will want to steal it.)

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

May 27, 2015, 2:11:46 AM5/27/15
masonc wrote:

> OK, it should be http://frontal-lobe.info (and I got to display is
> again)

Yes. Even better, <http://frontal-lobe.info/>, with a trailing slash, to
avoid the redirection on your server if the user agent does not append it.
(The “<” and “>” are prudent as delimiters in plain text; see the URI
standard.)

> More fun it was when the Library of Congress refused "info" as a URL/I
> suffix.

A domain name is _not_ a URI/URL. It can only be part of one.

“info” is _not_ “a URL/I suffix” as such, but a Top-Level Domain (TLD) name.

Those are *Internet* basics.