Search engine optimization

Robert Crandal

Aug 26, 2015, 5:54:44 AM8/26/15
I would like to learn some of the best techniques for making
my website more visible in search engines. Can anyone
recommend any good tips or tricks?

For examples, is Google Adwords the best method? Or,
do web developers still embed metadata keywors on websites?
Will the Google search engine automatically find my website
based on keywords within the HTML document?

I'd appreciate any advice. Thanx!

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Aug 26, 2015, 8:16:37 AM8/26/15
Robert Crandal wrote:

> I would like to learn some of the best techniques for making my website
> more visible in search engines. Can anyone recommend any good tips or
> tricks?
>
> For examples, is Google Adwords the best method?

I would say no. All of the adwords servers are in my HOSTS file, and I'm
not alone in that.

> Or, do web developers still embed metadata keywors on websites?

Google stopped indexing on keywords around the turn of the century due to
unscrupulous people stuffing the parameter with sex-based words. "Free
Sex" and the like. Webmasters shot themselves in the foot.

> Will the Google search engine automatically find my website based
> on keywords within the HTML document?

It will find your site based on links from other sites. It can't index
your document if it doesn't know it exists. Once that happens, the content
(text) will be indexed.

--
-bts

Molly Mockford

Aug 26, 2015, 2:25:50 PM8/26/15
At 12:14:50 on Wed, 26 Aug 2015, Beauregard T. Shagnasty
<a.non...@example.invalid> wrote in <mrkajq$a0r$1...@dont-email.me>:

>Robert Crandal wrote:
>
>> Will the Google search engine automatically find my website based
>> on keywords within the HTML document?
>
>It will find your site based on links from other sites. It can't index
>your document if it doesn't know it exists. Once that happens, the content
>(text) will be indexed.

By signing up for Google Webmaster Tools you can request it to spider
and index your site - but unless there are links to it from other sites,
it will never show up in the results (unless there is no other site in
the world dealing with the same subject).
--
Molly Mockford
Nature loves variety. Unfortunately, society hates it. (Milton Diamond Ph.D.)

masonc

Aug 26, 2015, 3:10:13 PM8/26/15
On Wed, 26 Aug 2015 02:54:40 -0700, "Robert Crandal" <norep...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
Read the manual:
Google's own "Search Engine Optimization Starter Guide"

http://tinyurl.com/nuw5h9t

MasonC http://frontal-lobe.info

masonc

Aug 26, 2015, 3:24:03 PM8/26/15
> http://tinyurl.com/nuw5h9t a 32-page Acrobat, pdf pamphlet

And I should have added: https://www.google.com/webmasters/

There you can take a course in web site design, including SEO.

MasonC http://frontal-lobe.info

Stan Brown

Aug 27, 2015, 7:26:26 AM8/27/15
On Wed, 26 Aug 2015 02:54:40 -0700, Robert Crandal wrote:
> Will the Google search engine automatically find my website
> based on keywords within the HTML document?

In my experience, that is the most effective method by a large
margin.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
HTML 4.01 spec: http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/
validator: http://validator.w3.org/