Here's a unique use for a table ...

tlvp

Jan 25, 2015, 11:40:08 PM1/25/15
I just ran across the following interesting use of a single-celled table --
to form the enclosing dark-bordered box for an In Memoriam dedication:

> <center>
> </tbody></table>
> </center>

Certainly not "tabular data" -- unless you think of a memorial plaque as a
table (actually, some languages *do* just that :-) ) -- but how else might
one as economically achieve the same effect? Cheers, -- tlvp

Jonathan N. Little

Jan 26, 2015, 12:42:46 AM1/26/15
div.obituary { display: table; margin: 1em auto; padding: 2px; border:
10px outset #000; }
div.obituary div { border: 1px solid #000; padding: 5px; }

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

David E. Ross

Jan 26, 2015, 2:00:31 AM1/26/15
See the black box at my
<http://www.rossde.com/editorials/edtl_Schiavo.html>. The CSS class
"box" is in <http://www.rossde.com/genl_style.css>.

--
David E. Ross

The Crimea is Putin's Sudetenland.
The Ukraine will be Putin's Czechoslovakia.
See <http://www.rossde.com/editorials/edtl_PutinUkraine.html>.

Jukka K. Korpela

Jan 26, 2015, 3:52:08 AM1/26/15
2015-01-26, 6:40, tlvp wrote:

> I just ran across the following interesting use of a single-celled table --
> to form the enclosing dark-bordered box for an In Memoriam dedication:

Such tricks were common in the mid-1990s when they were the only way to
achieve such rendering. Early CSS implementations were buggy (e.g. in IE
3, the only good thing in its CSS support was that it was easy to switch
it off, but authors of course could not rely on users doing so), so
people kept using the tricks even when CSS offered better ways in principle.

>> <center>
>> </tbody></table>
>> </center>

This causes an additional thin border inside the thick border. It is a
cell border and can be eliminated by adding rules="none" into the

The border is not that dark. In IE 11 in standards mode, it's more of
gray than black. Adding the attribute bordercolor="black" usually makes
it darker, but differently in different browsers; the attribute, in
addition to being nonstandard, has varying and poorly documented
implementations

> Certainly not "tabular data" -- unless you think of a memorial plaque as a
> table (actually, some languages *do* just that :-) ) -- but how else might
> one as economically achieve the same effect? Cheers, -- tlvp

<b>Name of Deceased</b>, 1953&ndash;2003

Change outset to solid in order to get full black border. And of course
you can also set the border color, e.g. border: solid 10px #333 to set
it close to black.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

tlvp

Jan 27, 2015, 4:59:59 AM1/27/15
On Sun, 25 Jan 2015 23:00:29 -0800, David E. Ross wrote:

> See the black box at my
> <http://www.rossde.com/editorials/edtl_Schiavo.html>.

Interesting, David, both for the CSS and for the unimaginably intrusive
antics of the FL legislature! In that regard, what was your message in
retitling poor Frist as "Sentator Frist"? (Don't tell me it's just a typo).

Thanks, -- tlvp

tlvp

Jan 27, 2015, 5:07:00 AM1/27/15
On Sun, 25 Jan 2015 23:40:02 -0500, tlvp asked:

> I just ran across the following ...
>
>> <center>
>> </tbody></table>
>> </center>
>
> ... how else might
> one as economically achieve the same effect?

Jonathan, David, Jukka, thank you all for your three rather different brief
and economical alternatives. I learn much from their study. Cheers, -- tlvp

Jonathan N. Little

Jan 27, 2015, 8:52:34 AM1/27/15
The economy is both in flexibility where you can change the style
without having to change the markup. Also the style is only defined in
one place even if you repeat the obituary repeatedly throughout the
website. Lastly, although UA will probably support CENTER for sometime
it is deprecated.

David E. Ross

Jan 27, 2015, 11:11:53 AM1/27/15
On 1/27/2015 1:59 AM, tlvp wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Jan 2015 23:00:29 -0800, David E. Ross wrote:
>
>> See the black box at my
>> <http://www.rossde.com/editorials/edtl_Schiavo.html>.
>
> Interesting, David, both for the CSS and for the unimaginably intrusive
> antics of the FL legislature! In that regard, what was your message in
> retitling poor Frist as "Sentator Frist"? (Don't tell me it's just a typo).
>
> Thanks, -- tlvp

Yes, a typo. I will correct it soon.

You might also be interested in my
<http://www.rossde.com/estate_plan.html>, which was somewhat inspired by
Terri Schiavo's tragedy but more by the death of my own son.

Swifty

Jan 27, 2015, 12:34:40 PM1/27/15
On 26/01/2015 04:40, tlvp wrote:
> Certainly not "tabular data" -- unless you think of a memorial plaque as a
> table

Whilst not tabular data, it surely is a tablet of data…

--
Steve Swift
http://www.swiftys.org.uk/

Ed Mullen

Jan 27, 2015, 1:35:44 PM1/27/15
David E. Ross wrote on 1/27/2015 11:11 AM:
> On 1/27/2015 1:59 AM, tlvp wrote:
>> On Sun, 25 Jan 2015 23:00:29 -0800, David E. Ross wrote:
>>
>>> See the black box at my
>>> <http://www.rossde.com/editorials/edtl_Schiavo.html>.
>>
>> Interesting, David, both for the CSS and for the unimaginably intrusive
>> antics of the FL legislature! In that regard, what was your message in
>> retitling poor Frist as "Sentator Frist"? (Don't tell me it's just a typo).
>>
>> Thanks, -- tlvp
>>

> Yes, a typo. I will correct it soon.
>
> You might also be interested in my
> <http://www.rossde.com/estate_plan.html>, which was somewhat inspired by
> Terri Schiavo's tragedy but more by the death of my own son.

Interesting read, David.

A few years ago my wife and I needed to update our wills. Our attorney
instead created a "revocable trust." At least in the state of Georgia a
revocable trust does not go through probate.

Condolences on losing your son.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/

Jonathan N. Little

Jan 27, 2015, 2:19:19 PM1/27/15
Swifty wrote:
> On 26/01/2015 04:40, tlvp wrote:
>> Certainly not "tabular data" -- unless you think of a memorial plaque
>> as a
>> table
>
> Whilst not tabular data, it surely is a tablet of data…

<head>
div.tombstone { display: table; border: 1px solid #000; background:
#ccc; padding: 100px 10px; border-radius: 50px 50px 0 0; }
</head>

Denis McMahon

Jan 27, 2015, 4:15:20 PM1/27/15
On Sun, 25 Jan 2015 23:40:02 -0500, tlvp wrote:

>> <center>
>> </tbody></table>
>> </center>

> Certainly not "tabular data" -- unless you think of a memorial plaque as
> a table (actually, some languages *do* just that :-) ) -- but how else
> might one as economically achieve the same effect? Cheers, -- tlvp

If you're displaying more than one on a page, use a class for the style.

p.memoriam {text-align:center;}
p.memoriam span {padding:5pt;border:10pt solid black;
display:inline-block;}

p>

--
Denis McMahon, denismf...@gmail.com

tlvp

Jan 27, 2015, 10:04:24 PM1/27/15
On Tue, 27 Jan 2015 08:11:52 -0800, David E. Ross wrote, anent "Sentator":

> Yes, a typo. I will correct it soon.

YVW.

> You might also be interested in my
> <http://www.rossde.com/estate_plan.html>, which was somewhat inspired by
> Terri Schiavo's tragedy but more by the death of my own son.

Indeed. Thank you. Most eye-opening. Raises the big question, for someone
like me with virtually no relatives or close friends: How to come up with
an executor, an attorney, a guardian, a trustee, or recipients of durable
powers of attorney for health or financial decisions?

Ideas or suggestions, while perilously OT for this NG, would nonetheless be
of immense interest. Thanks. Cheers, -- tlvp

Ed Mullen

Jan 27, 2015, 10:09:40 PM1/27/15
If you have a financial advisor you should consult him/her. A conflict
of interst, legally, would likely preclude them from being it but they
would likely have some suggestion.

Another avenue is an attorney you use for any legal affairs.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/

David E. Ross

Jan 28, 2015, 12:18:07 AM1/28/15
With no minor heirs and no heirs living in other countries, you likely
do not need a trust. With a will, you avoid a guardian; a guardian is
indeed something to avoid.

I found my estate attorney by asking for suggestions from an attorney
who is not an estate attorney. In general, you will not have an ongoing
relationship with an estate attorney. You get a will and then the
relationship is over for 5-10 years, after which you should have your
will reviewed and possibly updated. Of course, if you marry or adopt a
child, you need to update your will immediately and possibly get a trust.

Choose an executor who you trust and who understands what is involved in
settling an estate. The executor pays your final bills (including
taxes) and collects whatever is owed to you (possibly including tax
refunds). Then the executor distributes whatever is left to your heirs.
In your case -- without any close relatives -- you might make
charities, political parties, museums, colleges, or neighbors your heirs.

If your estate will amount to $100,000 or more, you might consider
making a community foundation your heir. (There are some smaller
community foundations that might be interested even if the amount is
$1,000.) The foundation will create a fund in your name. The fund can
then make grants to local charities, students, artists, musicians,
schools, hospitals, etc, reminding them all that you once lived. Either
the grants will be large enough that your fund is eventually exhausted,
or else the grants will be small enough that your fund is perpetual.

In the end, your heirs are not as important as settling your financial
affairs: paying your bills and collecting what is owed to you. Unlike
my son, you should not leave a mess and a bother for someone else to
clean up.

tlvp

Jan 28, 2015, 1:33:07 PM1/28/15
On Tue, 27 Jan 2015 08:11:52 -0800, David E. Ross wrote:

> You might also be interested in my
> <http://www.rossde.com/estate_plan.html>, which ...

Let mention quickly (in this fascinating but highly digressive subthread)
<http://www.aarp.org/home-family/personal-technology/info-2014/protect-personal-online-data.html>,
which raises yet more issues (online "assets"), new for the 21st century.

Cheers, -- tlvp

tlvp

Jan 28, 2015, 1:38:02 PM1/28/15
On Tue, 27 Jan 2015 21:18:04 -0800, David E. Ross added, post-sig.:

> The Crimea is Putin's Sudetenland.
> The Ukraine will be Putin's Czechoslovakia.

It's looking that way. And will Poland be Putin's Poland? Cheers, -- tlvp

dorayme

Jan 30, 2015, 10:52:34 PM1/30/15
In article <xwg4puc5mc5t$.1r67cioq...@40tude.net>,
tlvp <mPiOsUcB...@att.net> wrote:

> for someone
> like me with virtually no relatives or close friends: How to come up with
> an executor, an attorney, a guardian, a trustee, or recipients of durable
> powers of attorney for health or financial decisions?

tlvp, dear tlvp, dearest tlvp, no need to worry about all that... I
will handle everything. I have sent you a legal guardianship form to
fill in. I will look after you.

--
dorayme

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Jan 31, 2015, 1:39:30 AM1/31/15
tlvp wrote:

> […] Raises the big question, for someone like me with virtually no
> relatives or close friends: How to come up with an executor, an attorney,
> a guardian, a trustee, or recipients of durable powers of attorney for
> health or financial decisions?
>
> Ideas or suggestions, while perilously OT for this NG, would nonetheless
> be of immense interest. Thanks. Cheers, -- tlvp

The number of your contacts would increase if you did not make it so hard
for people to contact you.

PointedEars
-- Richard Cornford, cljs, <f806at$ail$1$8300...@news.demon.co.uk>

tlvp

Jan 31, 2015, 5:18:50 AM1/31/15
'Tain't me I was worried on behalf of, dorayme, 'twas my cat(s) :-) . And
the land of Oz really discourages importation of live cats :-{ . So,
thanks, but ... I'll need to look closer to home. Cheers, -- tlvp

James Moe

Jan 31, 2015, 4:10:41 PM1/31/15
On 01/31/2015 03:18 AM, tlvp wrote:
> [...] the land of Oz really discourages importation of live cats [...]
Dead ones are OK?

--
James Moe
jmm-list at sohnen-moe dot com

dorayme

Jan 31, 2015, 6:55:41 PM1/31/15
In article <Q92dnUyXwZRS2VDJ...@giganews.com>,
James Moe <jimoe...@sohnen-moe.com> wrote:

> On 01/31/2015 03:18 AM, tlvp wrote:
> > [...] the land of Oz really discourages importation of live cats [...]
> >
> Dead ones are OK?

I just want to make one thing perfectly clear. I will not, I repeat,
not, accept a *dead* cat. I can arrange, from a good distance -
Australia from Europe being ideally suitable - for any such to be
taken care of in situ. I have men in Europe still searching for Luigi.

--
dorayme

Ed Mullen

Jan 31, 2015, 9:22:21 PM1/31/15
Yeah! Geez! Whatever happened to Luigi? What a great source of amusement!

I think we old-timers should band together to find him and bring him
back here!

Oh, okay, wait ... I'm starting to remember ... umm ... well ... uh ...
maybe not?

God! Love that random sig text below! How apropos!

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/